Wrestling thread

I'm actually liking the way WWE are doing the shows at the performance center at the moment. Will be interesting to see how Mania fairs in that environment though.

After watching The Firefly Funhouse match at Mania last night, it's quite clear that drug use is still rife in WWE, though with the writers. WTF. 😳
I watched both nights live, both very tired coz my sleeping patterns are all out coz of this lockdown. All I can say is, I sat there the whole time through the Firefly Funhouse match in complete silence thinking what the actual fuck was going on haha.

The boneyard match though however from night one was brilliantly done in my opinion.

You have to feel sorry for Drew, he was probably told he was getting the nod in December/January and thought “finally”. Yet it was such a letdown in an empty vacuum type venue.

So do we all agree that Nia Jax is an unsafe worker and should have been released before the many better workers that were recently let go? Her Samoan family links is paying off for her, no matter how many people she hurts.

I keep visiting this thread hoping that someone is going to mention UK wrestling in the 60's and 70's - World of Sport on Saturday afternoon's just before tea.

Kent Walton commentating on basically a bunch of seriously out of shape, often middle aged men. Even more fixed than the later US versions.

Big Daddy, Giant Haystacks, Catweazle, Kendo Nagasaki, Johnny Kwango and Mick McManus to name a few.

It used to get seriously big viewing figures and used to be a hit with the old grannies as well.

So do we all agree that Nia Jax is an unsafe worker and should have been released before the many better workers that were recently let go? Her Samoan family links is paying off for her, no matter how many people she hurts.
Did Kairi actually get hurt ?
It looked fucking awful, fair play to the pirate princess she carried on the match.

I keep visiting this thread hoping that someone is going to mention UK wrestling in the 60's and 70's - World of Sport on Saturday afternoon's just before tea.

Kent Walton commentating on basically a bunch of seriously out of shape, often middle aged men. Even more fixed than the later US versions.

Big Daddy, Giant Haystacks, Catweazle, Kendo Nagasaki, Johnny Kwango and Mick McManus to name a few.

It used to get seriously big viewing figures and used to be a hit with the old grannies as well.
Its where I started my love of wrestling, my mum and her aunt used to take me to see the shows, and of course I watched it on telly each week.

There is a fantastic vibrant uk scene. I won’t lie to you and suggest it’s the same as those days, it isn’t. But by the same token it isn’t the full on American scene either. There are a variety of websites where you can watch the shows to get a taster. I would recommend ‘Progress wrestling’ I think they have a few full shows available to watch for free.

As far as American stuff goes, the one that most reminds me of those days is NWA wrestling, which only late last year rebooted itself onto YouTube and you can watch the first series for free (Search NWA powerrr, and look for episode one)

Much as I love those days, one of the reasons it died is partly, because it didn’t evolve. Last year (?) itv relaunched world of sport as an hour long wrestling show, it didn’t last. They had some great talent but I think they were torn between the more popular American stuff and making sure they gave the nod to the older British stuff and kinda missed the mark in both.

Its where I started my love of wrestling, my mum and her aunt used to take me to see the shows, and of course I watched it on telly each week.

There is a fantastic vibrant uk scene. I won’t lie to you and suggest it’s the same as those days, it isn’t. But by the same token it isn’t the full on American scene either. There are a variety of websites where you can watch the shows to get a taster. I would recommend ‘Progress wrestling’ I think they have a few full shows available to watch for free.

As far as American stuff goes, the one that most reminds me of those days is NWA wrestling, which only late last year rebooted itself onto YouTube and you can watch the first series for free (Search NWA powerrr, and look for episode one)

Much as I love those days, one of the reasons it died is partly, because it didn’t evolve. Last year (?) itv relaunched world of sport as an hour long wrestling show, it didn’t last. They had some great talent but I think they were torn between the more popular American stuff and making sure they gave the nod to the older British stuff and kinda missed the mark in both.
Thanks... I’ll check out the Progress site. For me the beauty of the old UK wrestling was just old, out of shape blokes you’d find down the pub. I never got into the American stuff - too much fitness, bodybuilding and preening... but i’ll check out the NWA site as well.
Didn’t Giant Haystacks wrestle in America for a while?

Thanks... I’ll check out the Progress site. For me the beauty of the old UK wrestling was just old, out of shape blokes you’d find down the pub. I never got into the American stuff - too much fitness, bodybuilding and preening... but i’ll check out the NWA site as well.
Didn’t Giant Haystacks wrestle in America for a while?
View attachment 18708
Meet Trent Seven one of the biggest stars on the UK wrestling scene, definitely a ‘big man down the pub’ type look, plenty of others as well.

Yeah he did (giant haystacks) wrestle for WCW in the early 90’s, don’t think he lasted long. The Americans, at the time had a more rigorous training regime than drinking and eating burgers :)

View attachment 18709
Walter an Austrian who plays a German git, another massive star in UK, Europe and lately America

View attachment 18710
Gallus three lads from Scotland, two brothers and a mate, very popular.

There really are many more I could name the English and Irish, in fact the European scene is vibrant and fun. There are some great Americans as well.

I hope you rekindle your enjoyment

I’m just finding WWE so sterile at the moment. Of course covid is mostly to blame, but not sure if I will return when everything is back to normal.

I enjoyed the double or nothing ppv on Sunday, I’m also enjoying Killer Cross, who was good on TNA. Missing RoH,NWA and NxT Uk.

Just watched ‘in your house’ I enjoyed it, but it didn’t match my expectations.
NxtUK runs down the excellent Regal and Finlay feud, also showed Hart v Davy boy smith at Wembley. My wife finally ‘got’ Brett Hart tonight, whilst watching that fight.

Also watched this week’s dynamite, worried that AEW, are falling down the TNA route of introducing someone new who gets a title shot instantly.

Have not read the reports, but it seems bullying is rife in the British Wrestling scene.
It’s allegations of sexual assault, the three names so far, which could all be innocent. Jordan Devlin, David Star, and quite a detailed allegation against Matt Riddle.

Progress wrestling has suspended Star and Devlin, as well as Travis banks and a referee, whilst they investigate allegations against those men. Their Tag titles are now vacated.

According to reports I have read/heard at least a dozen men have been named including AEW and WWE talent.

It’s allegations of sexual assault, the three names so far, which could all be innocent. Jordan Devlin, David Star, and quite a detailed allegation against Matt Riddle.

Progress wrestling has suspended Star and Devlin, as well as Travis banks and a referee, whilst they investigate allegations against those men. Their Tag titles are now vacated.

According to reports I have read/heard at least a dozen men have been named including AEW and WWE talent.
The wrestling industry is getting hit hard by its own #MeToo scandal. Not just men are being named, the wife of Jim Cornette is also facing allegations of sexual abuse.

Just finished watching The Last Ride on WWE Network. I expect Vince will try and talk him out of it again, but that could be the retirement of the Undertaker. For me probably the greatest of all time. Hope he stays retired after going out on a high against AJ. Brilliant career.
a111ac4316007117acbfc27162a1d376.jpg 3616923987_fd5d09e23e.jpg 3166af0d9204b6137a7b0503f6bf39d0.jpg c610428fcfcf7c384dd2b7b43ae8a9e1.jpg

Audio recording from a while back has surfaced where Sammy Guevara has said that he would have "fucked Sasha Banks there and then" when visiting WWE's performance centre.

It has not gone down well due to recent events.

Audio recording from a while back has surfaced where Sammy Guevara has said that he would have "fucked Sasha Banks there and then" when visiting WWE's performance centre.

It has not gone down well due to recent events.
Yeah I can imagine, however male locker room talk is different to actually doing stuff to the female talent.

Pretty sure I’ve said that about Sasha banks too.

Might be an unpopular opinion, but after watching AEW Dynamite, I think The Young Bucks are very overrated. Far too flippy and not enough actual wrestling for my liking.
Have to respectfully disagree with that. I think the young bucks are the best tag team in the world. They are flippy but equally they are capable of reining it in and putting some more storytelling into a match.

The matches i'd give as an example are the match with the golden lovers and the match with omega and hangman page.

What’s everyone’s thoughts on extreme rules?
I’m thinking: 1) Apollo still US champ
2) Seth wins and this is reys exit.
3) Braun wins the Swamp match
4) Bayley wins
5) Asuka retains
6) Drew retains

What’s everyone’s thoughts on extreme rules?
I’m thinking: 1) Apollo still US champ
2) Seth wins and this is reys exit.
3) Braun wins the Swamp match
4) Bayley wins
5) Asuka retains
6) Drew retains
I’m just not enjoying anything that isn’t NxT from wwe. I feel sorry for drew, getting the belt, and given a chance during this time.

Two weeks ago was the lowest ratings Raw, in history. Only to be beaten this week with an even lower figure.

I’m not sure what they can do to make me watch it again, but certainly things like karaoke competitions isn’t the way.

Have to respectfully disagree with that. I think the young bucks are the best tag team in the world. They are flippy but equally they are capable of reining it in and putting some more storytelling into a match.

The matches i'd give as an example are the match with the golden lovers and the match with omega and hangman page.
I’m not a fan of the young bucks, but I agree they are very skilled workers.

With FTR, Lucha Bros, and LAX (or whatever they’re called now) AEW have a superb tag division.

I’ve always liked Eddie Kingston, but I suggest wrestling fans watch the first match on this weeks AEW, the ring psychology and mic work is why I love wrestling.

Im not a WWE hater, (tho they are shit at the moment), but this fucking opening to a show is so good, thank you Eddie and Cody for wrestling event of the year so far

first ten/fifteen minutes of the show, and you will see what I mean.

I’ve always liked Eddie Kingston, but I suggest wrestling fans watch the first match on this weeks AEW, the ring psychology and mic work is why I love wrestling.

Im not a WWE hater, (tho they are shit at the moment), but this fucking opening to a show is so good, thank you Eddie and Cody for wrestling event of the year so far

first ten/fifteen minutes of the show, and you will see what I mean.
This was the promo after the fight

awesome

Anyone really sick of the Sasha and Bayley show now?! First we had Charlotte winning everything on every show, Becky retaining for like a year until she had to give it up, and now these two. Seems like only the 4 horsewomen are getting titles. What’s the point of giving Niki cross these tries when it’s clear the plan is for bayley to retain until the crowds get back, get a ppv organised with Sasha and bayley main eventing when Sasha turns on Bayley. This isn’t gonna happen for a while and Vince knows that. Hence why they’ve stopped alluding to it. So many more women on the roster could have title matches and win them until crowds are back. Then work in bayley winning back her belt and book the Sasha vs bayley match up.

early morning rant over lol

Anyone really sick of the Sasha and Bayley show now?! First we had Charlotte winning everything on every show, Becky retaining for like a year until she had to give it up, and now these two. Seems like only the 4 horsewomen are getting titles. What’s the point of giving Niki cross these tries when it’s clear the plan is for bayley to retain until the crowds get back, get a ppv organised with Sasha and bayley main eventing when Sasha turns on Bayley. This isn’t gonna happen for a while and Vince knows that. Hence why they’ve stopped alluding to it. So many more women on the roster could have title matches and win them until crowds are back. Then work in bayley winning back her belt and book the Sasha vs bayley match up.

early morning rant over lol
You’re right, I don’t even watch Raw or Smackdown and I know you’re right. WWE generally (not always) waste talent.

I really enjoy Scarlet Bordeaux’s work when she was wrestling men on the indie scene, she can really hold her own. I hope she becomes more than a valet on NxT

Going to watch the NJPW summer ppv later, hopefully see Kiri Saine reappear.

Did anyone watch the talk n shop mania PPV?

A couple of great wrestling fan 'in jokes' and some super awesome surprise guests.

Probably not worth $15, but if you can find it in wherever you usually stream your wrestling, 100% worth a watch.

Teddy Long !!!! (and many MANY more)