Who do you ‘take after?’

Chatting on the phone to a cousin this morning and he said I had my Dad’s kindness about me, which touched me deeply as he was well known for it.

I think I take after my Mum as I am open and welcoming, bit of my Dad as I don’t suffer fools and can be a bit impatient, although that has only surfaced since I retired.

Do any of you take after your patents in any obvious ways?

I don't take after anyone in my family. I am about 90% convinced I was stolen adopted at some early stage of life :D

Nah, I'm more like a mixture of my Grandparents than I am like my parents. I did, however, inherit my Dad's nose - it's all downhill in the future :(
looks good to me hen.......?

Looks grandmother from one side
Anxiety, OCD, driven, focus, getting into a flap, few other things to revealing to write in public - some from one parent, some from the other.
Skin from one, legs the same, ginger hair from both sides but one is indirect via a grandparent. Ginger gene is recessive, it has to be present somewhere on both sides.

Bit of a mix which is surely how it should be.

Does anyone hear a parent in their own voice or actions, scary and funny and nice all at the same time?!

Personality a mix (though more dad), but physically 90% my dad and paternal side of the family (though not the key gene that made all the other women willowy with long, straight blonde or red hair - FML). As babies/toddlers we looked almost identical.

Quite glad I didn't get some of the maternal genes - they skipped my mum but came out in her mum and my sister.

Looks grandmother from one side
Anxiety, OCD, driven, focus, getting into a flap, few other things to revealing to write in public - some from one parent, some from the other.
Skin from one, legs the same, ginger hair from both sides but one is indirect via a grandparent. Ginger gene is recessive, it has to be present somewhere on both sides.

Bit of a mix which is surely how it should be.

Does anyone hear a parent in their own voice or actions, scary and funny and nice all at the same time?!
I do, from my Dad. I am slightly losing my hair from the temples as he did, and I try to insist on a feet up/reading the papers time for Sunday morning.
I did one of those aging face apps and I could have been him!!

Hopefully no my dad as he's a total cunt, but then am I ever going to see that, others will say that to wind me up, just in my mind hopefully I'm no though 🤞

I look a lot like my mother but the similarities with her mother and myself are a lot close,I take after my father in terms of skin colouring.
Personality wise I am a mixture of several relatives.

Last edited:
I am almost the same as my mother. Spookily identical but only physically only. Mostly character wise I've inherited from my grandmother (mother of my mother).
Nagging, strict, sometimes very unfair, easily fell under the influence of other people, but still was very kind.

When we were kids we did afraid of her. Even my grandfather (her husband) would not dare to say any word against her, otherwise the cast iron pan with the freshly churned butter will hit him right in the head!

I do remember him to be very quiet, but constantly smiling and making jokes and playing on accordion. He was very unusually tall for that time, well over 6ft tall, and my grandmother just over 5ft. She was jumping up in the air to give him a slap on his face! :D Not many memories, as he passed away when I and my sister were 5yo.

My twin sister (not identical) mostly inherited from my father's side of the family, or rather grandmother: Legs like a grasshopper. My grandmother from the father's side has the legs growing from the root tooth. She also could make the most delicious food out of the very sparse ingredients. My sister inherited that also. The only physical attribute I got from my grandmother from my father's side, is her arse! She did have a proper round protruding like a balcony bum!
All my family from both sides were brilliant and gone through so much during WW2, but it's not relevant to this thread.

Last edited:
Looks wise i take after my moms side of the family. A couple of things i did inherit from my dad was the ability to spot a wrong un from 1000 yards and a dry, quite sarcastic, sense of humour. The rest is all of my own doing, which probably accounts for the depression and anxiety.

My interest and abilities in sport from my dad - who was quite a local schoolboy and youth star at both football and cricket...... from me mam her stickability - getting jobs done and an organisational ability... but then maybe my dad let her do that. Having said that my dad died in my teenage years so a difficult question to answer deeply and fully.

My father always used to tell me I was 'just like my mum' looks and physically. Apparently I am a lot like mum in character too, I'm very stubborn and determined, never still, always got something to do, will look after others before I look after me and have a happy disposition which was I'm told is very much like mum.

However I have my dads silly sense of humour and I find myself doing things that he did or using his sayings, he taught me carpentry and practical things and whenever I have a tape, saw and pencil in my hands, especially when I'm teaching someone I always have his words in my head, 'measure twice cut once' and I found myself doing something he always did when a passenger in a car the other day, he would place his hands on his lap fingers laced and rotate his thumbs round each other, almost unconsciously and I looked down to find I was doing it, seriously laughed out loud ffs

I take after my dad mostly, he's a bit of an oddbod although a popular one , goofy, scatterbrain, looses everything and often away with the fairies but basically a nice guy. Once didn't notice me sitting at the table next to him, I'd come in, made a cup of tea, said hi dad, sat down and he still didn't notice I was there. That's pretty much me

My mum was a pretty giggly bundle of blonde miniature curvy happiness and joy to everyone but me and my dad lol, so from her I've gained the ability to behave as if the person I'm ignoring isn't even in the room, even when in the room with them at work all bloody day and they're for some reason constantly trying to get attention. Tedious but, handy to deploy when necessary I suppose. I think my personality is a bit if an all over the place thing sometimes and I put it down to my parents possibly being so different plus other stuff . Ah well

Last edited:
My dad was a young french man, who I never knew from 2yrs old sadly, so have no clue if I resemble him. My mother, though never around, was the most gentle, lovely woman. An alcoholic from when I was small, I lived with my grandparents in their pub most of my childhood. My Grampy, a RAF man was kind, starchy, regimented to routine, explains my obsession with being organised. My nan was the most wonderful loving little lady that ever walked the earth. I hope I inherited her gentle ways. We're not a pretty family, but I was told I look like my father. They were interminable snobs, and I pretty much took the absolute opposite of their every outlook.

Probably take after my dad with my temper and disposition with my customers in the IT service. The amount of times I swear at the screen because of stupidity is probably more than the weeks in a year. Trying to work on it tho and keep the honesty bit.