What this place needs is a chatroom

Went to bed 10.30, fell asleep and woke just before 7.00. 8 1/2 hours slumber. Hmmmmmmmm. Not rubbing it in guys, if anything it probably means I am boring, although they say it is good for the cojounes (sic) portuguese for testicles.

Sorry I am a computer dunce, but cant someone just mention a quiet chatroom on skype or somewhere and post the link/directions to enter? Not like that would be 100% secure but nor is this site. Admin cant be the only IT geek on this site....

Sorry I am a computer dunce, but cant someone just mention a quiet chatroom on skype or somewhere and post the link/directions to enter? Not like that would be 100% secure but nor is this site. Admin cant be the only IT geek on this site....
Thats not really the same thing though is it. Sure someone could mention a chat room somewhere but then everyone who wants to chat has to go and sign up to that site aswell plus not everyone would necessarily see the link or even maybe want to sign up. A chatroom linked within or attached to the site is far better as we all would log in as our usernames

Thats not really the same thing though is it. Sure someone could mention a chat room somewhere but then everyone who wants to chat has to go and sign up to that site aswell plus not everyone would necessarily see the link or even maybe want to sign up. A chatroom linked within or attached to the site is far better as we all would log in as our usernames
+1

I wouldn't want to expose my skype ID or go through the hassle of creating another one.

Having the chatroom hosted on the site also means that admin can check the chat logs in case of any "issues".

+1

I wouldn't want to expose my skype ID or go through the hassle of creating another one.

Having the chatroom hosted on the site also means that admin can check the chat logs in case of any "issues".
You mean you don't have a fake Skype?

My alter ego has the lot - e-mail, twitter, Skype, whatsapp, etc etc

There is already the option to invite up to 5 people to a conversation, maybe Admin can increase that number so we can have a chat room or more?
Which would work to an extent, but that doesn't show the messages as people type them. You end up refreshing your browser a lot to see if there's a new message, or waiting for the notification, which is a bit delayed.

Either way the conversation gets a bit stilted.

On other sites I've always found chat rooms to be snipey and generate clicks

To be honest I don't think they add anything to a forum
I fully agree. Most forums I have been on with chat rooms end up with a clique of five or six people who make it uncomfortable and very difficult for others to join in with the chat and ignore anyone who tries as they completely dominate it. As you can already have five in a conversation I don't think a chat room would be worthwhile. Just look at PN even when the site was busy a set few dominated the chat room so they ended up being the only ones in there in the end as no one else bothered trying again. I have seen it on all sorts of forums from punting to combi forums to animal rescue ones. They all end up exactly the same way