VD

or sti's to give it it's posh name.

ive always wondered how often WG's get tested and if any on here have ever caught anything from a punter.

or sti's to give it it's posh name.

ive always wondered how often WG's get tested and if any on here have ever caught anything from a punter.
This is of course totally unprovable as is how often punters get tested, and its why I don't believe anyones word but do the best I can do and get myself checked out at the GUM. I also punt on a risk to reward basis taking the risks I am prepared to take for the rewards on offer as I see them, so for me BB is a never but OWO is essential at a 121 punt. I fully realise when I punt that its with a complete or virtual stranger who could be getting up to anything with anyone for all I would know as fact so the exact risk I am taking I don't know. I never get complacent that I couldn't catch something but haven't as of yet fortunately.

Certificates are only any good up until the time the tests were done, a person could of got infected the day after those tests.

The amount of (I would say) younger guys who try stuff I'm not comfortable with 'oh babe but I'm clean' trick. Not trying to pigeon hole all younger guys but it's never really the 'mature'
;-) gentleman who try this. It's like yes your cock might be big hehe and yes it looks okay but unfortunately sti's do not show up bright green or something when we have your cock is throat deep in me. So to turn this on its head I'd like to know how often you guys get checked out. I hope this doesn't sound offensive.

To answer the OP. - every 6 weeks. My local GUM clinic is attached to my uni and they know what I do. I get everything checked apart from bloods which is every 8 weeks and kinda glad about that as I'm prone to fainting but on the plus side I get a free lolly and novelty plaster every time I go haha xxx

I go to the Praed Street Project (the special sex workers' clinic at St Mary's) for the full monty of tests about every three months, and have had the hepatitis B course of vaccines. And no, never caught anything.

Last edited:
One of the things I said to myself when I made the decision to start doing this was that I would have to go for a check up regularly. So with my first few bookings under my belt and a bit of time off work next week I am going to go to the GUM clinic. Any advice for a first-timer would be appreciated. Should I ask for the 'full monty' of tests? Should I ask for Hep vaccinations and would I be likely to be given them? Any other pointers would be appreciated. I have been following all the advice on minimising the risks but I want to make sure I don't get complacent :thumbsup:

J

johnnyboy61

One of the things I said to myself when I made the decision to start doing this was that I would have to go for a check up regularly. So with my first few bookings under my belt and a bit of time off work next week I am going to go to the GUM clinic. Any advice for a first-timer would be appreciated. Should I ask for the 'full monty' of tests? Should I ask for Hep vaccinations and would I be likely to be given them? Any other pointers would be appreciated. I have been following all the advice on minimising the risks but I want to make sure I don't get complacent :thumbsup:
Be honest as to why you're there, then let them decide what tests are required. When I visited the GUM clinic for the first time the nurse told me that I was the first guy she had come across who admitted he was there because he paid for sex. OK, it wasn't in London and in one of the smaller cities, but even so this came as a surprise to me. No reason to be dishonest as you don't have to give your full name and details and they will text the results to whatever phone number you care to give them if you use a couple of phones. I did give my full real name and suddenly realised it was going to be shouted out by the nurse in the waiting room when my turn came, but thankfully there was no Mr X, just my first name used.

Last edited by a moderator:
I doubt anyone is going to admit catching anything :cool:
Maybe not WGs as it might not be good for future business but on UKP quite a few punters have posted they got such and such STI of course. In fact the openness of some was good to see as at least they are posting from a position of direct experience.

My advice to those going to the GUM is to do so anonymously if they care about others finding out they went. The Dean Street clinic in London had a data leak a while back where some peoples HIV status including being HIV positive were revealed by mistake in emails to others. I recall a man being interviewed I think without revealing his identity who said he hadn't told his family and friends, he was understandably very upset. Personally I don't trust data leaks wont happen again or that my GP wouldn't be informed in error and I don't want that in my notes as firstly its none of his business until I did get infected perhaps, and secondly I have private insurance and the insurers have access to my notes by my consent so I don't want them knowing my business on this either. Obviously what others do is up to them at the end of the day.

Most GUMs i have been to have been good and the service also good. I always tell them I am a punter.

Be honest as to why you're there, then let them decide what tests are required. When I visited the GUM clinic for the first time the nurse told me that I was the first guy she had come across who admitted he was there because he paid for sex. OK, it wasn't in London and in one of the smaller cities, but even so this came as a surprise to me. No reason to be dishonest as you don't have to give your full name and details and they will text the results to whatever phone number you care to give them if you use a couple of phones. I did give my full real name and suddenly realised it was going to be shouted out by the nurse in the waiting room when my turn came, but thankfully there was no Mr X, just my first name used.
Cheers Johnny. I'm single so don't have the worries about 'the other half' finding out. My nearest clinic is out of town too so less chance of bumping into someone I know. I hd already decided that I would be totally open about why I was there because my health is more important than avoiding a little embarrassment. Thanks for the advice :thumbsup: (I am tempted to use the name 'Hank Moody' though just for the fun of it :D)

Maybe not WGs as it might not be good for future business but on UKP quite a few punters have posted they got such and such STI of course. In fact the openness of some was good to see as at least they are posting from a position of direct experience.

My advice to those going to the GUM is to do so anonymously if they care about others finding out they went. The Dean Street clinic in London had a data leak a while back where some peoples HIV status including being HIV positive were revealed by mistake in emails to others. I recall a man being interviewed I think without revealing his identity who said he hadn't told his family and friends, he was understandably very upset. Personally I don't trust data leaks wont happen again or that my GP wouldn't be informed in error and I don't want that in my notes as firstly its none of his business until I did get infected perhaps, and secondly I have private insurance and the insurers have access to my notes by my consent so I don't want them knowing my business on this either. Obviously what others do is up to them at the end of the day.

Most GUMs i have been to have been good and the service also good. I always tell them I am a punter.
Cheers smiths. Actually that is a very good point. I remember hearing about that but to be honest I never gave it a second thought at the time. Maybe it would be better to stay relatively anonymous whilst still be totally open about my activity.

Tested last week and have to give false details as my OH works in Nhs and admited to having a look at my file when we first started dating.
In the Midlands you can get from the Nhs a self sampling kit which you send off to lab and get results back by text

Getting tested is the most responsible thing a punter can do. For the girls and fellow punters. First time I got tested was in an NHS gum clinic. Waited ages but staff excellent and happy to advise without judgement. I have now found a private clinic which expedites the whole process. Costs £120. Results in 48 hours.

Getting tested is the most responsible thing a punter can do. For the girls and fellow punters. First time I got tested was in an NHS gum clinic. Waited ages but staff excellent and happy to advise without judgement. I have now found a private clinic which expedites the whole process. Costs £120. Results in 48 hours.
In what way does the private clinic expedite the whole process?

I first went 6 months after I started punting, had the course of hep B jabs and go every 3 to 4 months when I've been punting. I just go to a NHS place that offers a walk in service. Can take up to 2 weeks to get results but there's no real panic anyway.

You get a time to go i.e fixed appt. Then they courier the results to the testing centre. I was in and out in half an hour rather than a three hour wait. As I say the main thing is getting tested.

You get a time to go i.e fixed appt. Then they courier the results to the testing centre. I was in and out in half an hour rather than a three hour wait. As I say the main thing is getting tested.
Fortunately I have never been in a GUM anywhere near 3 hours, agree testing is the main thing.

i got test around a year ago, all fine after a big scare for both me and the OH believe me i was shitting myself.

only had 1 punt since and that was just over 2 weeks ago so i'm due to go this month, not had sex with OH since punt so i need to go asap, no signs of anything after punt and all looks and feels fine, i never go BB but i do have OWO, ever had an STI in my life but i do suffer from speradic thrush/dry bellend which is a pain in the arse because my OH suffers from it as well( not a dry bellend lol)

You sign in at reception using a touch screen computer. Get handed a pod with a swab stick in it (has a sticker on it with your unique number). Go into a private room with a toilet, mirror, bench, on-screen instructions... and take the swab(s). Place the pod into a tube chute, where it sucks it up and takes it to the relevant lab.
Thanks.

You sign in at reception using a touch screen computer. Get handed a pod with a swab stick in it (has a sticker on it with your unique number). Go into a private room with a toilet, mirror, bench, on-screen instructions... and take the swab(s). Place the pod into a tube chute, where it sucks it up and takes it to the relevant lab.

where's that? and what is it testing for?( im stupid)

Every three months for full screenings including oral swabs, I've had the hep A and Hep B vaccines, my Hep B immunity is tested every visit and if it drops I'm given a booster on the next visit.

I disagree with one of the posts above. I find that older men are just as likely to say they are "clean" often neither have ever been near a GUM.

I have no idea who is or isn't 'clean', I apply the same rules to everyone.

Last edited:
must admit, punters are so two face on these threads( not singling anyone out), we expect WG'S to be shit hot on this sort of thing when we in fact are too relaxed about going to GUM clinics

Tested last week and have to give false details as my OH works in Nhs and admited to having a look at my file when we first started dating.
In the Midlands you can get from the Nhs a self sampling kit which you send off to lab and get results back by text
Do you know if that is the whole of the Midlands or just once specific NHS trust? I think on the first occasion I will go in in person and have a chat but for futures reference that might be a good option on the occasions I can't get to the clinic.

I believe there are private facilities in the major cities. Unfortunately in my area provision is sparse. If access was easier I'd be able to go more frequently than the minimum recommended.

Unfortunately not, they are NHS run. When I last spoke to a nurse there she said that when funding allows they hope to open more across the country.

A fantastic service in my opinion, and very punter/sex worker friendly.
With Dean Street that's apart from the data leak which caused upset and worse for some people, an unforgiveable act of gross incompetence in my view.

I get fully checked out every 2 to 3 months at Dean Street Soho, I like the place, all the staff are friendly and not judgemental, another plus for me is getting the results back the same day as long as it’s a morning visit so no need to prolong the nervous tension of waiting for the results.

Another plus is they don’t care if I call myself Mickey mouse as long as they’ve got a correct contact number and a DOB so no fret about giving true ID details, and Like Smiths I also tell them I’m a punter.

Get tested every month at a GUM near my office. I have also taken Hep A and B because of the nature of my job and the countries I visit.

Never have had an STI. Also if I have a cold or a sore throat. I cancel the appointment and when I shave my pubes, I wait a few days to make sure there are no wounds that could get infected.

Dean Street for me....
Non judgemental quick efficient service.
I used to go to a private clinic but Dean Street is just as good.

If you say you use sex workers, they might (should?) recommend the hepatitis B shots anyway. If they do, I'd take them as if you needed them for travel purposes you might have to pay for them at a private clinic. I had zero side-effects aside from a bit of a sting at the injection site for a couple of minutes.

I think Lambeth/South London is another area that offers postal testing: a friend of mine used it and the results came back quickly. Best thing to do is Google your local health authority: some of them have specific STI websites.

Anonymity isn't a bad idea. I used to go to my local clinic in Watford, but they call you in by your name - much prefer St Mary's where they used a code number!

I live 5 mins walk from Bristol's GUM clinic and I get tested every 3 months. I'm due at the beginning of December. Touch wood, I didn't had any std's in my life, not even BV. I am very careful and maybey genes have something to do.

If you say you use sex workers, they might (should?) recommend the hepatitis B shots anyway. If they do, I'd take them as if you needed them for travel purposes you might have to pay for them at a private clinic. I had zero side-effects aside from a bit of a sting at the injection site for a couple of minutes.
Thanks ChilternLine. Good to know that there are little or no side effects so if there is no downside to having the shots I will ask for them anyway. Am I right in thinking you have to go back for a repeat does at some point?

I live 5 mins walk from Bristol's GUM clinic and I get tested every 3 months. I'm due at the beginning of December. Touch wood, I didn't had any std's in my life, not even BV. I am very careful and maybey genes have something to do.
Forgive my ignorance on the subject but can I ask what BV is? (since I started I have learned more acronyms than I can remember - CIM, RO, DFK, TOFTT, BB, etc etc etc :D)

Never caught anything from a punter. Caught a couple of things back in my young stupid civvy days, but I was a good girl in the sense that as I was having regular sex with short-term boyfriends, I was a regular at the GUM clinic.

Re. ages, roughly speaking I've found people born circa 1955-1975 are the most responsible with regard to STIs because of the 'OMG, we're all going to die!' AIDS messages in the 1980s. It's younger and older that can have a lackadaisical approach: I've met some young men who are very responsible, but others who have never used condoms. Likewise older gents who've never been for a test.

Forgive my ignorance on the subject but can I ask what BV is? (since I started I have learned more acronyms than I can remember - CIM, RO, DFK, TOFTT, BB, etc etc etc :D)
Bacterial vaginosis. It's not an STI, but happens when the vaginal environment becomes too alkaline and a particular anaerobic bacterium (Gardenerella) becomes more prominent. It causes discharge, sometimes itchiness and the classic 'fishy' odour. You can treat milder cases with lactic acid gel pessaries; severe infections need antibiotics. It's not a sign of poor hygiene - in fact it's often caused by too much use of soaps, strongly scented shower gels/bath foams etc.

Thanks ChilternLine. Good to know that there are little or no side effects so if there is no downside to having the shots I will ask for them anyway. Am I right in thinking you have to go back for a repeat does at some point?
Yes, it's, I think one week, two weeks, then a longer gap (basically three shots spread out over a few weeks, then a booster one year later) - different clinics use different regimens.

Bacterial vaginosis. It's not an STI, but happens when the vaginal environment becomes too alkaline and a particular anaerobic bacterium (Gardenerella) becomes more prominent. It causes discharge, sometimes itchiness and the classic 'fishy' odour. You can treat milder cases with lactic acid gel pessaries; severe infections need antibiotics. It's not a sign of poor hygiene - in fact it's often caused by too much use of soaps, strongly scented shower gels/bath foams etc.
Thanks for the reply. I was vaguely aware of this I think (probably from reading women's magazines in the dentist's waiting room or something :D) but always good to learn new things :thumbsup:

Every three months for full screenings including oral swabs, I've had the hep A and Hep B vaccines, my Hep B immunity is tested every visit and if it drops I'm given a booster on the next visit.

I disagree with one of the posts above. I find that older men are just as likely to say they are "clean" often neither have ever been near a GUM.

I have no idea who is or isn't 'clean', I apply the same rules to everyone.
I hate the word "clean" when referring to STIs. (this isn't a comment against you Strawberry, just the wording in general) ... it implies that having sex and catching an STI means you are "dirty", when in reality, it's no different to catching a cold or flu or any other type of virus or infection.

Only thing I have caught since doing this apart from flu often is glandular fever which the client told me he was just getting over as he left. That was a long time off work. I did get chlamydia in my eye from a partner before doing this work though after receiving a badly aimed facial. That relationship ended as soon as I found out seeing as we had been together four 6years and were not in an open relationship

I worked as a holiday rep in the late 70,s early 80,s and never used protection and you can imagine how much sex was had. Never caught a thing, yet I had 3 cases of NSU before doing this job.......no Playstations to distract you then just beer & women.

Then the AIDS announcements were made, Pop stars film stars were dieing and it made us all sit up and listen.

Only thing I have caught since doing this apart from flu often is glandular fever which the client told me he was just getting over as he left. That was a long time off work. I did get chlamydia in my eye from a partner before doing this work though after receiving a badly aimed facial. That relationship ended as soon as I found out seeing as we had been together four 6years and were not in an open relationship
You have my sympathy. I have had that myself and I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. It is so debilitating and there isn't a lot the doctor can do for you. I remember being told it was best to avoid alcohol for a year afterwards. Not so much of a problem for you Dani I guess since you don't drink but I was a young lad who loved a beer. It was a struggle but I managed it :thumbsup: