This plastic bag thing

A month or so in, how's it working for you?

On the basis that taking your own bags - of any description - makes you look like a pensioner or anal retentive I happily buy the 5p efforts. Often buy more than I need and fill them with but a few items; a display of conspicuous consumption that turns many heads, let me tell you.

We get loads of people in our shops assuming you have to pay for them but we don't have to charge as we have less than 250 employees.
BUT you can charge if you want, so if you go into a small shop and they charge, its their choice.

Plastic bag charging has been in place here in Scotland for a while now. You just get used to carrying reusable bags around - simple.

That's the whole point of the charge, after all. It's a small thing that changes people's behaviour in a big way. I'm in favour: save the planet.

A month or so in, how's it working for you?

On the basis that taking your own bags - of any description - makes you look like a pensioner or anal retentive I happily buy the 5p efforts. Often buy more than I need and fill them with but a few items; a display of conspicuous consumption that turns many heads, let me tell you.
I couldn't care less about what others think, I have been using bags for life for a long time now. Firstly the free ones were so thin I needed to triple bag tins and similar and secondly on principle I wont pay for bags that should be free in my view. I got the bags for life free when Asda ran out of the then free ones and took a big handful that will last a very long time.

I am also far from convinced supermarkets wont cash in with at least some of the money made from these 5p bags.

Its not really working for me personally. Sainsbury have made their plastic bags thicker but that just means you cant get as much stuff in them as when they were free. I dont go out equiped with a bundle of carrier bags "just in case" so I end up paying for them. Im determined to take a bundle with me though so that when I go to tesco I can use sainsbury bags and when i go to tesco I can use tesco bags in sainsbury. I dont believe the supermarkets are going to give a penny to any charities from the money and I havent heard of a plastic bag tax ON the supermarkets themselves. Ive heard that the sales of binbags have gone up but yet to see anyone use them. Im just waiting to see if I spy anyone loading up in Ikea bags. I do feel a bit of a twat buying the bags though when shopping because everyone in front of me always has bundles of them that they pull out so that they dont have to buy more x

Last edited:
I've had no problems but I don't do a weekly shop, it's more daily as and when with a fabric tote bag. I did nip in to ASDA unexpectedly the other day, their bag for life is 6p, so I opted for that and the thicker bag is floating around waiting to be reused, which it will - either in my gym bag or for some other shopping.

Supermarkets used to have big plastic baskets you could buy for about three quid, and they stopped for some reason or other. Now I've got one of these and it suits me just fine. I can get a week's shopping in there and carry it from the car all in one trip. If it was plastic bags then I'd have a drawer full of old bags I'd never use again. I've not really needed plastic bags for a long time now.

Its not really working for me personally. Sainsbury have made their plastic bags thicker but that just means you cant get as much stuff in them as when they were free. I dont go out equiped with a bundle of carrier bags "just in case" so I end up paying for them. Im determined to take a bundle with me though so that when I go to tesco I can use sainsbury bags and when i go to tesco I can use tesco bags in sainsbury. I dont believe the supermarkets are going to give a penny to any charities from the money and I havent heard of a plastic bag tax ON the supermarkets themselves. Ive heard that the sales of binbags have gone up but yet to see anyone use them. Im just waiting to see if I spy anyone loading up in Ikea bags. I do feel a bit of a twat buying the bags though when shopping because everyone in front of me always has bundles of them that they pull out so that they dont have to buy more x
If your a driver why not leave them out of sight, say under your seats in your car, that's what I do so I always have access to bags even if I unexpectedly go to a supermarket.

The Sainsburys' bags are pretty fancy tbh - markedly better than those at Tescos. 5p seems like a bargain.
Like you, I live on the edge, never knowing when I'm gonna go shopping, so having my own bags to hand is quite out of the question.
Oh yes indeed.

The Sainsburys' bags are pretty fancy tbh - markedly better than those at Tescos. 5p seems like a bargain.
Like you, I live on the edge, never knowing when I'm gonna go shopping, so having my own bags to hand is quite out of the question.
Oh yes indeed.
Seeing as for many years bags were free them now costing 5p is in no way a bargain in my view, it IS a pisstake though.

When it was first introduced in Wales I got caught short and the only bag I had in the car was an Ikea bag and only because it wasn't mine! I'd helped someone out and it was their bag in the boot. Had no choice, felt stupid loading groceries into it and make sure I have plenty now!! Don't like giving money to the supermarkets unnecessarily!!

When it was first introduced in Wales I got caught short and the only bag I had in the car was an Ikea bag and only because it wasn't mine! I'd helped someone out and it was their bag in the boot. Had no choice, felt stupid loading groceries into it and make sure I have plenty now!! Don't like giving money to the supermarkets unnecessarily!!
Nothing wrong with an ikea bag, better than a bin bag lol

I get most of my groceries delivered, but if I need a top up I just pop a carrier in my handbag. Bit of a pain if you forget, but not the end of the world. For bigger in-person shops, I've also got a couple of bags for life, but mostly use canvas shoppers bought from Tesco and Waitrose.

I have used bags for life for ages. The Aldi ones are huge so well worth the money. My local coop is charging the 5p per bag but their bags are so flimsy one 2litre bottle will burst the bottom due to weight so how the hell they charge that much when their bags are so terrible I don't know. At least Asda and Tesco bags will hold a few items before exploding over the floor. The price should go on quality of the bag not just a set price as some have taken advantage and changed their bags to a cheaper supplier. The good bags they had were free but now they are charging they are using poorer quality bags. However why not get rid of plastic bags all together and start using paper ones again that are recyclable and bio degradable

I have used bags for life for ages. The Aldi ones are huge so well worth the money. My local coop is charging the 5p per bag but their bags are so flimsy one 2litre bottle will burst the bottom due to weight so how the hell they charge that much when their bags are so terrible I don't know. At least Asda and Tesco bags will hold a few items before exploding over the floor. The price should go on quality of the bag not just a set price as some have taken advantage and changed their bags to a cheaper supplier. The good bags they had were free but now they are charging they are using poorer quality bags. However why not get rid of plastic bags all together and start using paper ones again that are recyclable and bio degradable
Of course Aldi have been charging for their bags for years. If the government were really that bothered about the environment it would be the law that only bio degradable or suchlike would be allowed.

One thing that's not been mentioned up till now is that since these charges for carriers came in, you no longer get Clubcard points in Tesco when using your own bags. Every Little Helps..... THEM!

E

EnglishPhoebe

Its not really working for me personally. Sainsbury have made their plastic bags thicker but that just means you cant get as much stuff in them as when they were free.
I actually said this to them when I first got them!

I hate this bloody carrier bag thing as I never remember and because I'm paying I can't bring myself to throw them out so I now have shit loads of carrier bags!! :dash:

Well I have to use a large shopping trolley now so hardly sexy whilst shopping and sadly I also managed to bump into a client on my way home when the trolley was fully loaded. However, I always used to use bags for life and that. I am not a tree hugger but I do care about nature and try to do my bit.

Within a week or so I found myself asking why I had ever bothered with those flimsy bags that seemed to get thinner and flimsier every time I went shopping. I now carry a folded-up 'bag for life' or two in my pocket when I go shopping. The reinforced ones that cost fifty or sixty pence are much bigger and stronger. My only objection is that almost all the bags the shops sell have their name and logo on them, which means I'm paying ASDA or whoever to advertise their stores.

what pisses me off is that now it costs 5p why are the bags still so poor in quality. Few years ago they were strong and free. there needs to be a petition why the fuck we paying for shit that can't hold anything substantial without ripping....so gives me the red mist!!

Bought a few big 'Bags 4 Life' from Sports Direct for £1.50 each, which have been okay for the last 2 months or so.

However when I buy raw meat, I make sure they wrap it up well in 2 plastic bags. Few days ago, a guy at the till tried to charge me for that and I told him that bags which only contain certain items, such as unwrapped food, raw meat and fish where there is a food safety risk cannot be charged. It seems that certain store till-staff are either not aware of this or they try to pull a fast one.

Plastic bag charging has been in place here in Scotland for a while now. You just get used to carrying reusable bags around - simple.

That's the whole point of the charge, after all. It's a small thing that changes people's behaviour in a big way. I'm in favour: save the planet.
Yeah same in Wales, been a few years now, you eventually stop thinking about it. And when you hear those stories of massive swirls of plastic in the Pacific ocean and turtles gasping on the shit, well it's nice to do my bit however nominal that is. :thumbsup:

Us. Paying 5p isn't going to save any turtles for three reasons

People who throw plastic bags out will continue to

There are already so many plastic bags in the sea that stopping now won't make any difference

World governments need to make a concerted effort to clean up their seas rather than signing ridiculous global warming treaties. Actually send cleaning ships out to pick up the floating rubbish. They know the tides and where the stuff goes and how.

That's the only thing that will stop turtles dying of plastics, actually physically removing the stuff. Plus, we pay 5p, none of that makes its way to cleaning up the oceans as far as I know. I hope it does but who knows.

If the government or supermarkets actually gave a damn they would ban plastic bags and make sure paper bags could be gotten as cheaply for our groceries.

Anyone here order their food online? Do you have the option of not having it arrive in plastic bags ?

Us. Paying 5p isn't going to save any turtles for three reasons

There are already so many plastic bags in the sea that stopping now won't make any difference

World governments need to make a concerted effort to clean up their seas rather than signing ridiculous global warming treaties. Actually send cleaning ships out to pick up the floating rubbish. They know the tides and where the stuff goes and how.

That's the only thing that will stop turtles dying of plastics, actually physically removing the stuff. Plus, we pay 5p, none of that makes its way to cleaning up the oceans as far as I know. I hope it does but who knows.

If the government or supermarkets actually gave a damn they would ban plastic bags and make sure paper bags could be gotten as cheaply for our groceries.

Anyone here order their food online? Do you have the option of not having it arrive in plastic bags ?
So true, all a big we care but don't really give a damn thing to pacify the greens and say we have done this !

Maybe the 5p going towards the clean up would be a suitable cause.

I'd agree with the need to remove the existing plastic from the seas and oceans, but not with this:

The evidence on that one is pretty clear: adding a 5p charge in Scotland reduced plastic bag usage by somewhere between 80 and 90 percent, depending on who you ask. That's more than just significant.

The numbers are pretty similar in other countries that have tried it, both other parts of the UK and further afield, so I don't think it's just the tight Scottish bastard effect :). I see no reason to believe the numbers will turn out any different for England.

The amount of material in the sea is determined by the amount already there, the rate at which we put it in, and the rate at which it either decays (very slow for plastic, hence the problem) or we take it out.

We can't change history, so we're stuck with altering the two rates. I see no reason we shouldn't have a go at both.

The 5p bag charge would appear to be 'low hanging fruit' in terms of effort vs. impact.