remidies for flu?

You too huh? I've been off sick the last two days - I normally use 1st Defence at the first hint of any bug and it usually does the trick, but it's no use once you start to develop major symptoms and it didn't stop mine this time. :(

Obviously mine is a particularly nasty strain - we call it "man flu" as it's strong enough to lay the biggest toughest guy low! :lol:

There are things which will make you feel more comfortable, but no cure.

I recommend 10g of l-glutamine (you are into training so should have some of this staple supplement, if not, get some) per day, 1000mg x 3 vitamin c tablets. Painkillers + caffeine (good coffee or a diet coke will provide this).

This combination of ingredients forms the basis of most over the counter cold or flu remedies, but in much more effective doses.

Consider a flu jab next year.

Also forget the old adage of starve a fever. You need to eat to keep your energy levels up. I have the flu jab but still got a bad strain over a month ago that left me off work for nearly a month as the flu causedchest and ear infections at same time. Go to bed and take ibuprofen as it's an anti inflammatory so helps with swollen glands and swollen sinus. I don't drink normally but I swear by hot milk, whiskey or brandy (as strong as you can bare it without being sick) and a spoon of honey or sugar. A large mug of this whilst wrapped up in PJs thick quilt and even hot water bottle will help you sweat it out a bit. Also a vaporiser in the room can help with the heavy sinus and heavy chest. You can get electric ones or most chemists stock a manual one called a wrights vaporiser for under a tenner. Vitamin c which is obvious but also vitamin d either by pill or by bit d lamp as lacking in vitamin d causes fatigue

Also forget the old adage of starve a fever. You need to eat to keep your energy levels up. I have the flu jab but still got a bad strain over a month ago that left me off work for nearly a month as the flu causedchest and ear infections at same time. Go to bed and take ibuprofen as it's an anti inflammatory so helps with swollen glands and swollen sinus. I don't drink normally but I swear by hot milk, whiskey or brandy (as strong as you can bare it without being sick) and a spoon of honey or sugar. A large mug of this whilst wrapped up in PJs thick quilt and even hot water bottle will help you sweat it out a bit. Also a vaporiser in the room can help with the heavy sinus and heavy chest. You can get electric ones or most chemists stock a manual one called a wrights vaporiser for under a tenner. Vitamin c which is obvious but also vitamin d either by pill or by bit d lamp as lacking in vitamin d causes fatigue
I also find Olbas oil fantastic for clearing sinuses, a few drops in a bath, oil burner or on a hanky does the trick.

I lived in Canada for a while. They have a range of products over there called Tylenol. Frickin amazing stuff, took up to eight tablets a day and was able to work thru most flu's. Had a whole series of liquid forms as well. Know it won't help here but as I know a lot of girls travel so just adding for the record. Also don't think they are approved for sale here which may explain their effectiveness.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...0.Xtylenol+flu.TRS0&_nkw=tylenol+flu&_sacat=0

I caught it a couple of months ago. Chemist recommended DAY & NIGHT NURSE (only supposed to take it for 3 days, but I took it for a week) and also DEQUADIN for the sore throat. They made life a lot easier and the symptoms eased a lot more quickly than in the past.

I've got a cold coming I think probably because I refuse to accept its no longer t shirt weather , lucky I don't have no booking for a month

But I'm practising what I preach beer shopping tomorrow

Honey & Lemon tea with ginger, cinnamon, turmeric and cayenne. It works very well! If you can get all the ingredients while you're ill! If not stock up for next time :( Get well soon.

A bit late for you but in future have a flu jab, I have one every year, got one down the chemist yesterday cost £10, haven't had the flu in years.

Last edited:
Don't waste money on branded OTC drugs for the most part: rest, plenty of fluids, and ibuprofen or aspirin to reduce pain/fever.

Take plenty of natural vitamin C. Squeeze lemon into a mug and pour hot water over it and add a teaspoon or two of honey. Also buy some natural ginger, grate & boil it, then drink while it's hot. You could add some honey but I personally like the burn of ginger as it goes down my throat. It's also a natural aphrodisiac :thumbsup:

Since flu is a virus, sadly there is no cure. I had flu recently it did take a few weeks to go away completely...
Just try to up your intake of water and get some rest.

Keep your vitamin c levels up...I got one of these over a 2 year ago and wack 1 or 2 oranges through it every day, really quick and never had a hint of a cold until this last one that everyone has had, but with me it wasnt half as bad as what they usually are and seemed to go much quicker...Dont wanna post old wives tales but it has defo helped me, and cleans with good rinse in seconds.