Premier League football prediction league

Didn't West Auckland win some proto World Cup too?
yes ... then lost it
... it got stolen in the 90s and the club now has a replica
... Sir Thomas Lipton Trophy ... they beat the German and Swiss sides to win the world cup final ... chosen over Arsenal to represent England.. then two years later won it again .. beating Juventus [Italy] in the final .. so kept the trophy till the 90s

yes ... then lost it
... it got stolen in the 90s and the club now has a replica
... Sir Thomas Lipton Trophy ... they beat the German and Swiss sides to win the world cup ... chosen over Arsenal to represent England.. then two years later won it again .. beating Juventus [Italy] in the final .. so kept the trophy till the 90s
I didn't know the trophy had been half inched.

I recall a television play about the story featuring Dennis Waterman.

I shall away and check.

Edit

Copied from Wikipedia - my paragraphing

'Waterman starred in a television film made by Tyne Tees Television entitled The World Cup: A Captain's Tale (1982). It was the true story of West Auckland F.C., a part-time side who won the Sir Thomas Lipton Trophy, sometimes described as the 'First World Cup'.

Waterman played the part of Bob Jones, the club captain. It cost £1.5 million to make of which most was funded by Waterman. Shooting took place in the North East and in Turin in Italy.

Scenes were shot in County Durham pit villages and in Ashington, Northumberland where goal posts and a grandstand were erected in a public park with a colliery headframe in the background.

Local players took part, donning long pants and high-sided boots of the day, and even suffering "short back and sides" haircuts.

The production boasted several comedy sequences, including a meeting of the club committee and a meeting of the Football Association Council when the suggestion of an English team participating in the new competition received a lukewarm and cynical response from the members.

Also on the agenda was the F.A. Cup draw performed in the conventional manner and immediately dispatched direct from the council chamber to the clubs "by carrier pigeons" released out of the windows.'

Last edited:
I know we have all heard this but the winter break for those divas in the premier League means that they all play once in next two weeks but week 26 has all these fixtures in their dribs and drabs .... just writing this as an excuse to bump the thread up