Discussion NE Long Thread

Used to go to the Dolce Vita a couple of times a week, also went to Bloomers which I think used to be Club A Gogo owned by Bob Monkhouse.
No, Club a Gogo was the one above Handyside arcade on Percy street, (the Animals were the first 'house' band). Change Is, was on Bath Lane, it was opened by some hypnotist and bankrolled by Bob Monkhouse, (it nearly bankrupted him) after it closed it reopened as Bloomers. After the Tatler in the Haymarket closed it reopened as a gay bar called The Casablanca, which also moved to Bath Lane for a while.

Club A Gogo was owned by Mike Jeffrey who managed the Animals and Jimi Hendrix, hence the Animals being the 'house' band and Hendrix appearing there, along with Pink Floyd, The Who, The Rolling Stones, The Yardbirds, Cream, John Mayall and the Bluesbreakers, The Spencer Davis Group, Jeff Beck and Status Quo - among others. Some venue that place.

No, Club a Gogo was the one above Handyside arcade on Percy street, (the Animals were the first 'house' band). Change Is, was on Bath Lane, it was opened by some hypnotist and bankrolled by Bob Monkhouse, (it nearly bankrupted him) after it closed it reopened as Bloomers. After the Tatler in the Haymarket closed it reopened as a gay bar called The Casablanca, which also moved to Bath Lane for a while.

Club A Gogo was owned by Mike Jeffrey who managed the Animals and Jimi Hendrix, hence the Animals being the 'house' band and Hendrix appearing there, along with Pink Floyd, The Who, The Rolling Stones, The Yardbirds, Cream, John Mayall and the Bluesbreakers, The Spencer Davis Group, Jeff Beck and Status Quo - among others. Some venue that place.
That’s one hell of a lineup! Didn’t the Yard Birds go onto be Led Zepplin?

Demolished 33 years ago so it would be safe to say very much before your time. I think one of The Animals had a clothes shop in there, but they're well before your time as well. :D
Demolished to make way for bloody Eldon Gardens - another splendid decision.

Club A GoGo was before my time but Brian Sandells who used to own The Kard Bar inside The Handyside Arcade used to tell us wide eyed young uns in 1980 about the history of the place. Sadly he died in 2015 when Kard Bar Mk2 went up in flames on Cross Street.

Used to be some gorgeous hippy chicks used to hang around there on a Saturday ...needless to say I got nowhere.:cry:

Demolished to make way for bloody Eldon Gardens - another splendid decision.

Club A GoGo was before my time but Brian Sandells who used to own The Kard Bar inside The Handyside Arcade used to tell us wide eyed young uns in 1980 about the history of the place. Sadly he died in 2015 when Kard Bar Mk2 went up in flames on Cross Street.

Used to be some gorgeous hippy chicks used to hang around there on a Saturday ...needless to say I got nowhere.:cry:
Eldon Gardens is an eyesore. When I visited Newcastle last month I was shocked by it's horrendousness.

I'm guessing T.Dan Smith was involved.

Last edited:

Yes correct it was Change Is before Bloomers, that was a rough place. Never knew anything about Club a Gogo but what a line up that is. Used to go to Stage Door as well. I remember the old baldy bloke on the door. I was never a member but he always let me in. Was the same story every time. Are you a member? Yes, but I did not bring my card with me. Ok, what colour is the card? White. Ok I will let you in this time. Every time I went was the same, he surely must have known. :unknown:

Yes correct it was Change Is before Bloomers, that was a rough place. Never knew anything about Club a Gogo but what a line up that is. Used to go to Stage Door as well. I remember the old baldy bloke on the door. I was never a member but he always let me in. Was the same story every time. Are you a member? Yes, but I did not bring my card with me. Ok, what colour is the card? White. Ok I will let you in this time. Every time I went was the same, he surely must have known. :unknown:
One of our mates used to know the doorman at Change Is, he would get in free then straight down the back stairs to let us in the fire escape. No alarms on the doors in those days. :D

Used to do the same at the Mayfair. Sneak in the back door, through a long dark corridor. You could not see a thing but could hear the boilers, feel your way along the corridor through a door and a curtain and in the place :rolleyes: