Musicals & The Theatre

I took an ex out to see Les Miserables today followed by a champagne dinner - well you just have to don't you?!!! Absolutely brilliant to visit the theatre again, been far too long. Company wasn't too shabby!

Any fans of the musicals or the theatre and if so what are your favourite shows/plays?

For me I absolutely love Miss Saigon, High Society, Phantom and of course Les Miserables.

Miss Saigon is fantastic but so was cats and Joseph. I really want to see wicked again. My favourite though is and probably always will be The Rocky Horror Show. Which I have seen live many times with many taking the lead role. The guy who did the west end version for amnesty was one of the best lead characters since Tim curry although tickets were very expensive for that one show but I got it as a late b'day present from my lunch ladies group

I'm not really a fan, but saw Les Mis in the mid-80s and enjoyed it. Last year I did go to The Book of Mormon, and thought it was brilliant - very enjoyable night out.

J

johnnyboy61

I think the greatest musical of all time is West Side Story and that Sondheim (who also wrote the lyrics for West Side Story back in the Fifties), although an acquired taste, is the present master of the form. I particularly like Sweeney Todd, which some of the national opera companies have performed very successfully, although even Johnny Depp and Helena Bonham Carter didn't manage to spoil it in the film. The Kander and Ebb musicals are good too including Cabaret and Chicago, both better on film than on stage I think, and of course there's always the standards by Rogers and Hammerstein such as Oklahama! and Carousel, but if you want a fun evening I think that Hairspray takes a lot of beating. Some Lloyd Webber is ok such as Cats and Evita (Phantom overstretches itself with its faux-operatic seriousness), but when did he last pen a decent hit? I didn't think I was going to enjoy it, but Les Mis was fantastic on the stage, but in my opinion Hugh Jackman and Russell Crowe ruined the film.

I don't really like the musicals pieced together from existing songs such as Mamma Mia and We Will Rock You.

(PS - No, despite my knowledge of musicals, I'm definitely not gay!)

I love musicals and anything visual. I recently saw billy eilliot when I was down in London. I've seen wicked and Carmen recently. I wish I lived in London so I was closer to all those wonderful acts that rarely travel up north.

I got dragged along to see Grease about 20 years by an ex. Fully expected to hate it.

However, I loved it and regularly go now. My highlights have been seeing Alfie Boe playing Jean Valjean in Les Mis and to see Phantom of the Opera on Broadway.

Also started to go to see theatre plays and comedies. I can recommend The 39 Steps which I found hilarious.

I think the greatest musical of all time is West Side Story and that Sondheim (who also wrote the lyrics for West Side Story back in the Fifties), although an acquired taste, is the present master of the form. I particularly like Sweeney Todd, which some of the national opera companies have performed very successfully, although even Johnny Depp and Helena Bonham Carter didn't manage to spoil it in the film. The Kander and Ebb musicals are good too including Cabaret and Chicago, both better on film than on stage I think, and of course there's always the standards by Rogers and Hammerstein such as Oklahama! and Carousel, but if you want a fun evening I think that Hairspray takes a lot of beating. Some Lloyd Webber is ok such as Cats and Evita (Phantom overstretches itself with its faux-operatic seriousness), but when did he last pen a decent hit? I didn't think I was going to enjoy it, but Les Mis was fantastic on the stage, but in my opinion Hugh Jackman and Russell Crowe ruined the film.

I don't really like the musicals pieced together from existing songs such as Mamma Mia and We Will Rock You.

(PS - No, despite my knowledge of musicals, I'm definitely not gay!)
I've seen a few lately and I have to say Singing in the Rain was amazing, great dance sequences and the songs are amazing, High Society and Top hat too.

I love musicals and anything visual. I recently saw billy eilliot when I was down in London. I've seen wicked and Carmen recently. I wish I lived in London so I was closer to all those wonderful acts that rarely travel up north.
I love just walking around the theatres and just deciding on a whim to pop into one of them, go to the box office and see what's available and getting a great deal. I wish I lived in London too sometimes!

I got dragged along to see Grease about 20 years by an ex. Fully expected to hate it.

However, I loved it and regularly go now. My highlights have been seeing Alfie Boe playing Jean Valjean in Les Mis and to see Phantom of the Opera on Broadway.

Also started to go to see theatre plays and comedies. I can recommend The 39 Steps which I found hilarious.
wanted to go and see 39 steps as I loved the original film but was advised not to go and see it in the theatre!

Being a comedy it is very different to the film and three actors play all the characters.

I went to a midweek matinee and a load of teenage school kids were there. Really did not think they would enjoy it but they were laughing as much as the adults.

I wished I lived in London just for the amount of theatre shows available.