Last movie you watched...

Quarries.
A group of troubled women on a wilderness expedition find themselves fighting for survival when they are stalked by psychopaths.

Daniel Isn't Real.
Troubled Luke suffers a violent family trauma and resurrects his childhood imaginary friend to help him cope. Charismatic and full of energy, `Daniel' helps Luke to achieve his dreams, before pushing him into a desperate fight for his own soul.

Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri. Streaming on Channel 4. Great comedy/drama.
I kept half an eye on that without properly following it. I've been caught out by too many recent, especially US, films to commit fully.

I got the impression it could have been a decent film but was let down by the needless swearing and, inevitably, the unnecessary musical sound track.

Despite its preference for style over substance I may watch it when it comes round again if I've nothing better to entertain me.

Midway - was better than I expected. Aerial scenes and special effects very good. Probably closer to the danger of the real event when diving bombing a fleet. However, I found the casting of Woody Harrelson as Admiral Nimitz a bit odd - he usual plays rebels not naval officers. I still prefer the original with Charlton Heston.

I kept half an eye on that without properly following it. I've been caught out by too many recent, especially US, films to commit fully.

I got the impression it could have been a decent film but was let down by the needless swearing and, inevitably, the unnecessary musical sound track.

Despite its preference for style over substance I may watch it when it comes round again if I've nothing better to entertain me.
"Needless swearing"? You are Mary Whitehouse AICM £5...

Those two elements can be found in practically every film nowadays though, I’ve never heard anyone use them before as a complaint until now.

Personally, I think the overall story along with some great performances, particularly from Frances McDormand, should make up for any of the perceived shortfalls that you’ve highlighted.

Probably should’ve kept both eyes fully on it. I thought it was very decent film full of substance with superb performances all round and a brilliantly scripted storyline.

Luce.
A couple, Amy (Naomi Watts) and Peter Edgar (Tim Roth), are forced to reconsider their image of their adopted son after they discover he has written an extremley disturbing essay for his class at school.

Last edited:
Upgrade. A sci-fi revenge story with a deadpan comedy Hal vibe - if Hal from 2001 had been funny rather than scary. I really, really enjoyed this. Best to just go in cold than read up on what the plot and storyline is, imo.
Saw this a while back... really liked it and thought it was very well done with just the right comic touches to start with, and then on to a darker tone. Recommended 👍

Ad Astra (2019) starring Brad Pitt (TLJ was in it for a bit). A thoughtful sci-fi drama which sees Pitt travelling first to Mars and then Neptune in order to find his father who went missing on a long range “search for extraterrestrial life” mission 30 years earlier, a mission that now threatens life on Earth and possibly the rest of the solar system itself.

I really liked this, it was thoughtful, well paced and scientifically accurate while exploring the psychological affect of being abandoned by your father and the effects of long term space travel on the mind and body. To me it was reminiscent of The Martian, Interstellar, Gravity, and Solaris and sits up there with those films as decent sci-fi. Recommended.
I watched it today. Quite enjoyed it but kept getting distracted by the fact that Brad Pitt was about 10 years too old?

Upgrade. A sci-fi revenge story with a deadpan comedy Hal vibe - if Hal from 2001 had been funny rather than scary. I really, really enjoyed this. Best to just go in cold than read up on what the plot and storyline is, imo.
Great film. Very badass. Felt like a 21st century take on RoboCop in terms of not just the story but also the dark comedy and the little nasty streak it had running throughout

Apparently there's a TV series in the works that will act as a sequel. Guy that both wrote and directed the film is involved so chance it could be decent

I watched it today. Quite enjoyed it but kept getting distracted by the fact that Brad Pitt was about 10 years too old?
I'm half way through this. I like the correct quiet version of space.

Not sure why they had Brad's character travel all the way to Mars to send a message. Could he not have recorded messages and sent them to Mars? No doubt it will become clear when I watch the last hour .

I'm half way through this. I like the correct quiet version of space.

Not sure why they had Brad's character travel all the way to Mars to send a message. Could he not have recorded messages and sent them to Mars? No doubt it will become clear when I watch the last hour .
They mentioned why this was - apparently it was the only 100% secure transmission post following the last antimatter pulse. Presumably the pulse comprised the security of the Earth based posts.

Habit (2017)
Manchester, the present. Michael divides his time between the job center and the pub. A chance meeting with Lee, an introduction to her Uncle Ian and a heavy night on the lash lead to a job working the door at a Northern Quarter massage parlor. After witnessing the violent death of one of the punters, Michael experiences blood-drenched flashbacks and feels himself being sucked into a twilight world that he doesn't understand but that is irresistibly attractive. When he eventually finds out what goes on in the room below Cloud 9, Michaels' life will never be the same again.

Hara-Kiri: Death of a Samurai (2011) - a remake of the 1962 film (which I've not seen) set in post-feudal Japan when the Shoguns were at peace and Samurai warriors found themselves without a master and thus unemployed and living close to poverty. This is the story of a young Samurai who attempts to bluff a rich Samurai house into taking him in by asking to commit Hara-Kiri in their courtyard. What follows is an unfolding and revealing tale of true honour, courage and ultimately revenge.

It starts off low-key and builds throughout a two hour, compelling narrative which leads to the climax of the story. I'd not heard of either versions previously, but saw it on Amazon Prime so thought I'd give it a watch and very glad I did. Brilliantly paced and acted with wonderful cinematography, this is a story that I won’t quickly forget. Highly recommended whether or not you’re a fan of the martial arts genre.

Parasite. Definitely not what I expected, but I enjoyed it.

Except for the effort it took to read the subtitles.

Almost 3 hours of subtitles.

I discovered it takes ALOT of focus to read 3 hours of subtitles and not miss entire runs of dialog.

Have I mentioned how much I generally dislike subtitles? :thumbsdown:

The Wraith (1986) starring Charlie Sheen and Randy Quaid - not a classic, but a typical piece of 80's “brain into neutral” (or overdrive given the subject matter) action offering, in fact I have a feeling this may even have cult status now. Basically a fast and furious revenge binge with the obligatory romance and brimming with 80’s rock and power ballads.

It's a fun throwback to the stuff that was being churned out by the truck-load during the mid-eighties, but nowhere near as classy as Miami Vice was back in the day. I enjoyed it and actually thought it was better than I previously remembered it to be.

They mentioned why this was - apparently it was the only 100% secure transmission post following the last antimatter pulse. Presumably the pulse comprised the security of the Earth based posts.
I finished Ad Astra. Bit disappointed really. Lots of travelling through space and good special effects. Well made, but I just thought the story was weak.

I finished Ad Astra. Bit disappointed really. Lots of travelling through space and good special effects. Well made, but I just thought the story was weak.
Horses for courses I guess. It was low key but I felt that aspect lent itself well to the character’s psyche. Agree the story started to peter towards the end, but I enjoyed it overall - thought more intelligent than the average sci-fi action flick these days, but light years away from being in the same league as Interstellar (one of my all time best ever, absolutely loved it movies).

The Delightful Forest (1972) - A quality Hong Kong classic martial arts movie from the legendary Shaw Brothers studio and directed by “the godfather of Hong Kong cinema”, Chang Cheh (Five Deadly Venoms, Shaolin Avengers etc.). I wouldn’t normally mention an old kung-fu movie here but I thought this one was exceptional. Based on several chapters of the classic Water Margin story, it tells the story of strong and honourable Wu Song (aka the Tiger Killer), one of the nine dozen heroes reborn to fight the oppressing government of the time.

This is a fairly rare movie in the UK and brilliantly restored (digitally) on Amazon Prime, so if your a fan of the genre, get in there quick before the Muppets at Amazon remove it like they do with so many of the good movies you want watch but miss out on when they delete them or make them chargeable.

Bad Therapy (2020)
Bob and Susan (Alicia Silverstone) see a marriage counselor, Judy Small, to improve their relationship. However, Judy Small's dark impulses will bring Bob and Susan's marriage to the breaking point.

Number 37. A South African film in Afrikaans about a paraplegic who witnesses a murder and tries to blackmail the killer. A low budget take on the familiar Rear Window storyline (not exactly the same just similar), with plenty of this isn't going to end well and argh, you're going to get caught moments. 🙈 It's on Amazon Video for anyone interested.

Last edited:
Becoming (2020)
A newly engaged couple's road trip takes a terrifying turn when they encounter an ancient evil force that possesses men slowly by stripping away their identities. Was a decent watch :thumbsup:
Cheers for the heads-up.... always on the look out for decent/recommended horror flicks (not slasher movies though).

The Post .....Tom Hanks, Meryl Streep and many others, excellent always wanted to see this but never got round to it.

American historical political thriller film produced and directed by Spielberg

The Grilling. A French film from 1981 about a lawyer suspected of killing and raping two children. About 20 mins in I realised the story was very familiar and that's because the yanks remade it as Under Suspicion, which I've seen before. Both films I think are okay, but not brilliant. It could be that the original has aged a bit, too.

Sea Fever.Described as a sci fi horror more like a sea mystery :unknown:imo.Not what i was expecting but i liked it. Limited setting but with good directing and a simple 'what the hell is going on/going to happen' plot' i found it fairly enjoyable (some might say boring/mediocre).Reminded me of a very low key The Thing.Signs of running out of steam and desperation near the end leading to an anti climax imo.Liked the end credits song

A couple of stinkers from the Horror Channel....

Beyond the Gates.
In the wake of their father's mysterious disappearance, two estranged brothers -- responsible Gordon and reckless John -- reunite to sift through the contents of his stubbornly anachronistic VHS rental store. Among the inventory, they discover an interactive VCR board game, which their father viewed just before he vanished. Intrigued, the boys pop in the tape, press play, and soon discover that, far from an ordinary game, the video is a portal to a nightmarish alternate reality.

Patchwork.
Three young women go out partying and wake up attached together as a Frankenstein-esque monster. With their individual personalities still intact, the three women set out to figure out what happened to them.

This one was so bad i had to keep watching :D

What did you think of the effects,cgi 1 and 2?
I thought the CGI was done pretty well on the first one, especially Carter's horse towards the end. The second one I thought was much more obviously CGI and a not great compared to other movies, but to be fair I only watched about 20 to 30 mins of it, so couldn’t say if it got better or not. I’d guess the latter though. Shame really as I thought the first movie was pretty good all around, also not a bad effort from Cage given most of the stuff he’s churned out over the last decade and a half has been hit and miss, mostly miss (Drive Angry wasn’t half bad though).

Escape Room x 3

Escape Room (2019) directed by Adam Robitel - horror sci-fi... decent enough cast, well acted, good story line best of the bunch so far and worth a watch.

Escape Room (2017) directed by Peter Dukes - supernatural(ish) horror... not awful, some (possibly most) of the characters are a bit annoying, okay-ish storyline for an average horror flick that doesn’t stink. Really could have been so much worse (see below). Give it a go if you like the genre.

Escape Room (2017) directed by Will Wernick - below par horror... in a word, rubbish. Crappy storyline, pants acting and awful characters - you really don’t give a hoot as they bite the dust. As one reviewer pointed out “plot by Jigsaw’s stupid brother”. Just boring... don’t waste your time.