Last album you listened to

I love β€œ your want it darker β€œ by Leonard Cohen best played with a client blindfolded and tied to my bed :D
Never heard this song but I'm definitely willing to try this. Heightened hearing with being blindfolded and all that. I might not be able to concentrate on the song though... Depends what else was happening πŸ€”πŸ˜€

The singer songwriter Willy Mason's 2012 album 'Carry On' .

The lyrics to the superb first track 'What Is This?' are particularly poignant considering the world we currently live in.

Hunky Dory - David Bowie

Nearly 50 years old and still sounding as fresh as ever. Can't choose between it and Ziggy as his best but both in my top 20 of all time.

1971. Greatest year for music before or after. There's even been books written about it @Joy Division :)
I was having a Bowie day last week while writing my memoirs ;)...his run of albums from The Man Who Sold The World (1971) to Scarey Monsters (1980) is pretty much unsurpassed imho.

The Strawbs Grave New World. Progressive folk rock I suppose you'd call it. Or just pretentious. Takes me back to college though.
I really like this late 60s UK folk music. Yes I think you could also call it Progressive and Rock too. The Strawbs, Fairport Convention, Sandy Denny, Fotheringay.
Whenever I listen to it, it takes me back to 'simpler' times. I would not call it pretentious, but it is evocative of a certain lifestyle.

I really like this late 60s UK folk music. Yes I think you could also call it Progressive and Rock too. The Strawbs, Fairport Convention, Sandy Denny, Fotheringay.
Whenever I listen to it, it takes me back to 'simpler' times. I would not call it pretentious, but it is evocative of a certain lifestyle.
Do you like Comus? They are like what progressive 60s folkies would be, if they became evil :wackogirl:

C

comaminion

Poppy i disagree

Very rarely rate female alternative vocalists but whole album has some great riffs which work with her voice

Hunky Dory - David Bowie

Nearly 50 years old and still sounding as fresh as ever. Can't choose between it and Ziggy as his best but both in my top 20 of all time.

1971. Greatest year for music before or after. There's even been books written about it @Joy Division :)
As somebody who was a teenager in the 60's I'm bound to disagree with you and say '67 for me. Even leaving aside everything the Beatles did that year, there was so much great music around.

I'd agree with you about Hunky Dory though. A brilliant album, with not a duff track on it. I lost David Bowie after Young Americans. I bought Scary Monsters, but only played it once or twice and never went back to it.

As somebody who was a teenager in the 60's I'm bound to disagree with you and say '67 for me. Even leaving aside everything the Beatles did that year, there was so much great music around.

I'd agree with you about Hunky Dory though. A brilliant album, with not a duff track on it. I lost David Bowie after Young Americans. I bought Scary Monsters, but only played it once or twice and never went back to it.
So many great albums over the years, but the ones that I always come back to are Hunky Dory and Ziggy. Both touched with a special kind of genius.

The only time I ever wish I was a few years older is thinking about being a teenager in the 60's. (Only missed out by a year technically speaking) :) But to have been 18/19 must have been a real buzz in the Beatles/Stones etc. era.

So many great albums over the years, but the ones that I always come back to are Hunky Dory and Ziggy. Both touched with a special kind of genius.

The only time I ever wish I was a few years older is thinking about being a teenager in the 60's. (Only missed out by a year technically speaking) :) But to have been 18/19 must have been a real buzz in the Beatles/Stones etc. era.
It was. The Beatles kept surprising us with each new record. The Stones were great too, but their music didn't really change much, although technically they kept improving. Their one attempt to get away from R&B - "Their Satanic Majesties" - is dire.

It was. The Beatles kept surprising us with each new record. The Stones were great too, but their music didn't really change much, although technically they kept improving. Their one attempt to get away from R&B - "Their Satanic Majesties" - is dire.
I actually really like "Their Satanic Majesties", even though it appears to be universally disliked.

I actually really like "Their Satanic Majesties", even though it appears to be universally disliked.
Their are two really good songs imo - Shes A Rainbow and 2000 Light years From Home. I think they might have been quite successful at a more psychedelic sound if they had persevered with it. But we will never know now.

Their are two really good songs imo - Shes A Rainbow and 2000 Light years From Home. I think they might have been quite successful at a more psychedelic sound if they had persevered with it. But we will never know now.
They did the right thing after by going back to their blues rock roots. The run of albums from Beggars Banquet was amazing.

They did the right thing after by going back to their blues rock roots. The run of albums from Beggars Banquet was amazing.
Totally agree. I'm definitely not saying they should have gone totally psychedelic.

Beggars Banquet
Get Ya YaYas Out
Let It Bleed
Sticky Fingers
Exile On Main Street

Never has there been such a run of phenomenal albums by anyone.

Satanic Majesties has been disowned by the band but there was just enough promise on it for me to wonder if they might have been able to expand that side of things as well. She's A Rainbow is a great song, the piano is as trippy as fuck. John Paul Jones arranged the strings on that track I have just seen.

Satanic... comes over like they (or their management) decided to chase the psychedelic bandwagon and they didn't have much idea of what to do once they'd jumped aboard. They went from being leaders to being followers. They were much better when they went back to being leaders again.

Ooh, David Sylvian is on my fucktree. Apparently he's a right tosser.
I met him when I worked in a local radio station.
Japan had been booed off when opening for, I think, Blue Oyster Cult, and unfortunately I was wearing a BOC tshirt when they arrived. He described us as heathens, which went down well, so I spent most of their visit chatting with the rest of the band while he was interviewed. Lovely chaps, but Sylvian?

Japan had been booed off when opening for, I think, Blue Oyster Cult, and unfortunately I was wearing a BOC tshirt when they arrived. He described us as heathens, which went down well, so I spent most of their visit chatting with the rest of the band while he was interviewed. Lovely chaps, but Sylvian?
Oh, I must get the BOC stuff out now, great band, Sylvian looks like a tosser, but I've never met him

Haha! I've had first-hand reports of how he is both unpleasant and weird.

Waylon Jennings - The Rambling man.. love a bit of 70s country
Been watching some old Dukes of hazzard..waylon did the theme tune and was the narrator on the episode's.. all them good old boys from texas ...and of course daisy duke ...