It's all in the game, yo 😎 (thread dedicated to The Wire) *spoiler heavy*

A place to talk about the masterpiece that is The Wire. As the title says this will undoubtedly be spoiler heavy.

For anyone considering watching it, here's a link to a spoiler-free video essay on why it's one of the greatest TV shows ever made:

Part 2 of the video essay is also great, but contains spoilers.

I recently started rewatching the show from the beginning, something I do every couple of years or so. And I've been listening to this podcast, as recommended by another member on the podcast thread, after I finish each episode. I listen on Spotify but here's a general link for it:

https://www.theringer.com/way-down-in-the-hole

Maybe like me you're rewatching it or you're watching it for the first time and want to share your thoughts. Links to anything else related to it are welcome of course. 🙂

Obviously there’s a lot of memorable moments throughout the series, but this scene has always been a standout favourite of mine.

The acting from both was superb. McNulty’s last line to Brianna was just beyond perfect, it cut so deep and was just so weirdly satisfying to watch as a viewer.

Also, as a side topic here’s my ranking of The Wire’s opening theme (Way Down in the Hole) from series to series -

Best -
Season 4 by DoMaJe
Season 1 by The Blind Boys of Alabama
Season 3 by The Neville Brothers
Season 2 by Tom Waits
Season 5 by Steve Earle
Worst -

C

comaminion

First 3 seasons very slow but get past those and it's enjoyable

The shield was better

I have watched The Wire series a total of 9 times so far and it will forever remain one of the best series I've ever seen. Also introduced me to my ultimate crush Mr Idris Elba :wacko:

I still hold The Wire as the single greatest tv show I’ve ever seen just above some extremely serious competition.

The way it shifts focus and investigates so much forensically and based on such rich real life experience is fantastic. Several of the actors are real former cops from Baltimore PD and Felicia “Snoop” Pearson I believe was involved in the drug trade before joining the series. As was the old minister who comes in later on.

Series 3 and 4 are the outstanding ones for me, but the whole thing is so massively intelligent and well crafted to say nothing of incredibly progressive in terms of its casting and characterisation in terms of racial and sexuality representation. Every character is fully drawn and full of flaws and strength.

I love it and I will strike down all those who oppose it.

I have watched The Wire series a total of 9 times so far and it will forever remain one of the best series I've ever seen. Also introduced me to my ultimate crush Mr Idris Elba :wacko:
To me he’s one of the great tragedies of the wire. He’s so unbelievably good in it that his entire career afterwards looks like a total shitshow. Same with Dominic west to a lesser extent.

C

comaminion

You’re a fucking shit cunt and should be banned from this thread for being too stupid.
The wire was better than die hard though but so was

Police academy, lethal weapon, turner and hooch, kindergarten cop pretty much any other film was better than die hard

I still hold The Wire as the single greatest tv show I’ve ever seen just above some extremely serious competition.

The way it shifts focus and investigates so much forensically and based on such rich real life experience is fantastic. Several of the actors are real former cops from Baltimore PD and Felicia “Snoop” Pearson I believe was involved in the drug trade before joining the series. As was the old minister who comes in later on.

Series 3 and 4 are the outstanding ones for me, but the whole thing is so massively intelligent and well crafted to say nothing of incredibly progressive in terms of its casting and characterisation in terms of racial and sexuality representation. Every character is fully drawn and full of flaws and strength.

I love it and I will strike down all those who oppose it.
It pains me to say it, but I agree. I rewatched 1 & 2 fairly recently but need to do the others when I have some spare time.

I'd probably say The Wire and GOT are equally good, but they're so different they're not really comparable. I also think the death of Stringer Bell is one of the best single things ever on TV.

I've also enjoyed Treme, The Deuce, and now The Plot Against America, by some of the same people.

I'd probably say The Wire and GOT are equally good, but they're so different they're not really comparable. I also think the death of Stringer Bell is one of the best single things ever on TV.

I've also enjoyed Treme, The Deuce, and now The Plot Against America, by some of the same people.
I need to pick up The Deuce again. I saw the first series on NowTv and was chomping at the bit for the second to be released, but then I forgot about it. James Franco playing two characters in that show (brothers) and being amazing at it, really took me by surprise.

Game of thrones is the championship compared to the premiership where the wire and other genuinely great series play. That metaphor goes further in that while the championship may be more fun and more stuff happens while the premiership is potentially depressing, it just isn’t as good qualitatively.

C

comaminion

Game of thrones is the championship compared to the premiership where the wire and other genuinely great series play. That metaphor goes further in that while the championship may be more fun and more stuff happens while the premiership is potentially depressing, it just isn’t as good qualitatively.
The wire=national league

"I got the shotgun, you got the briefcase, s'all in the game though, right?"

Season 4 of The Wire is my favourite.

I also love the mini series "Generation Kill" made by the guys who created The Wire. its a real life account of a Rolling Stones journalists report the invasion of Iraq in 2003. based on his book, which is also really good.

unpopular opinion: I really like Ziggy Sobotka

Obviously there’s a lot of memorable moments throughout the series, but this scene has always been a standout favourite of mine.

The acting from both was superb. McNulty’s last line to Brianna was just beyond perfect, it cut so deep and was just so weirdly satisfying to watch as a viewer.
Now that is a burn.

Up to episode 7 in season one, where Johnny and Bubbles go to a NA meeting and Bubbles gets up to collect a badge: they can get it for having 24 hrs clean or just for the desire to live. It's clearly the latter for Bubbles, because they hit up that morning, but it made me want to skip to the end so I don't have to watch all the pain he goes through over the next 5 seasons. 😭 It's really prophetic watching scenes like this and people such as Walon with seemingly minor roles who become so important to Bubbles and his ending, but at the beginning you have no idea.

"I got the shotgun, you got the briefcase, s'all in the game though, right?"

Season 4 of The Wire is my favourite.

I also love the mini series "Generation Kill" made by the guys who created The Wire. its a real life account of a Rolling Stones journalists report the invasion of Iraq in 2003. based on his book, which is also really good.

unpopular opinion: I really like Ziggy Sobotka
Ah, I forgot Generation Kill - another good 'un...

1596162711385.png

Another standout scene for me was when Michael and Dukie parted ways. So sad but yet very relatable to so many of us, albeit in not as such a dire situation as them.

A comment from the video above sums it perfectly - “This scene perfectly captures the feelings of growing up, parting ways with dear friends, and being forced the accept the harsh and bitter realities of your existence.“

Dukie’s storyline from start to finish was so helplessly tragic. A bright kid who through circumstance and a lack of guidance ended up seemingly throwing his life away, an all too familiar story which continues to happen to so many others.

sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet

anyone seen Da 3 Bloods or Black Kkklansman on Netflix – Isiah Whitlock Jr (who plays Clay Davies in The Wire) uses his catchphrase from The Wire – very funny!!

Finished season 4 on binge re-watch last night.

The thing that is incredible on a re-watch is how disposable some massive characters were early on.

I could have sworn they lasted longer given the impact they had on the whole show

One that really surprised me this series was how early the Orlando storyline came at me. I was certain that was much later

Great scene. Simple yet brilliant.
I learned that the scene is sometimes used in film schools to show the importance of dialogue expression and speech tone/patterns in story telling, since it tells the whole story of the scene using just one word by simply varying the tone of it.

Last edited:
Finished season 4 on binge re-watch last night.

The thing that is incredible on a re-watch is how disposable some massive characters were early on.

I could have sworn they lasted longer given the impact they had on the whole show

One that really surprised me this series was how early the Orlando storyline came at me. I was certain that was much later
That's one of the things which made it stand out so much at the time (and still now) the writers don't care how much the audience likes a character and they don't play to sentiment. Anyone can be gone at any moment regardless, which was the sad reality of people living those lives in the real world.

Finished season 1 last night and I'll kick off season 2 tonight. What I'm really enjoying about the podcast is that they've described Stringer Bell as a fuckboy. 😂

I think I've watched the Wire over 10 times end-to-end. This got me through Uni! Nothing like waiting every week for a new ep.

Hands down no death hit me as hard as Bodie, like, you knew it was coming, but the way they did character progression in this show you really personalised with them. It's weird seeing so many actors before their prime. I can't think of a single filler episode.

And so many brits as well. The Wire got me into Oz.

Also, controversial opinion, I really liked Season 3. I absolutely hated it at the time, but in hindsight, its sooooooo needed. Topics like this are so nuanced and grey you gotta get all the other aspects of it too.

Such an underrated character.

I think I've watched the Wire over 10 times end-to-end. This got me through Uni! Nothing like waiting every week for a new ep.

Hands down no death hit me as hard as Bodie, like, you knew it was coming, but the way they did character progression in this show you really personalised with them. It's weird seeing so many actors before their prime. I can't think of a single filler episode.

And so many brits as well. The Wire got me into Oz.

Also, controversial opinion, I really liked Season 3. I absolutely hated it at the time, but in hindsight, its sooooooo needed. Topics like this are so nuanced and grey you gotta get all the other aspects of it too.

Such an underrated character.
Currently watching him in True Blood. :thumbsup:

This standout scene is what made me realise what set this show apart from so many others that I’ve watched.

Not only could you really feel the emotion from every character when they were listening to the tape, but it also showcased the level of depth and realism they gave to every character.

It would’ve been so contrived to have had Rawls ‘sink the knife in further‘ about what McNulty’s actions had ultimately led to, but he chose not to. Instead Rawls decides to comfort McNulty, but did so in a way which still didn’t betray his (most of time) dislikable character.

This whole episode is fantastic viewing from start to finish.

This standout scene is what made me realise what set this show apart from so many others that I’ve watched.

Not only could you really feel the emotion from every character when they were listening to the tape, but it also showcased the level of depth and realism they gave to every character.

It would’ve been so contrived to have had Rawls ‘sink the knife in further‘ about what McNulty’s actions had ultimately led to, but he chose not to. Instead Rawls decides to comfort McNulty, but did so in a way which still didn’t betray his (most of time) dislikable character.

This whole episode is fantastic viewing from start to finish.
Completely agree. As much as Rawls hates McNulty he's a cops cop and puts that first, but still with his usual brutality.