Hobbies?

this is one of those getting to know people threads so do you have any hobbies?
Or perhaps pastimes that you enjoy and others find strange, annoying or just don't understand

Mine is fostering animals, keeping chickens, zombie books,films or TV series and mild prepping as well as being an avid marvel collector comics and their variants, graphic novels, wall art and funkos.

Two of my hobbies can be guessed from my avatar. I like sport in general. I also enjoy reading, history especially. I'm also a bit partial to classic British comedies.

this is one of those getting to know people threads so do you have any hobbies?
Or perhaps pastimes that you enjoy and others find strange, annoying or just don't understand

Mine is fostering animals, keeping chickens, zombie books,films or TV series and mild prepping as well as being an avid marvel collector comics and their variants, graphic novels, wall art and funkos.
What is mild prepping by the way ?

weight training, travel , musicals , yoga and cats!
What type of yoga, Rebecca? I mainly practice Ashtanga (20yrs next year), although done couple of others, Jivamukti & Kundalini.

Other than that, like to cook - amazing what you can do with veg - and music :music:

[edit: errrrr.... my hobbies aren't as exotic as the OP's]

Last edited:
@ knight. It's keeping disaster kit but not to the extreme some do. So it's bottled water. MREs which taste like crap but have over 1250 calories each. Sacks of pasta and rice and tinned foods Lighters, batteries and so on basically anything you feel you would need to survive in an emergency it disaster and it's a pain at times as you have to rotate it as water goes out of date.

Last edited:
What type of yoga, Rebecca? I mainly practice Ashtanga (20yrs next year), although done couple of others, Jivamukti & Kundalini.

Other than that, like to cook - amazing what you can do with veg - and music :music:

[edit: errrrr.... my hobbies aren't as exotic as the OP's]

i do mainly hatha but have just started aerial yoga!

@ knight. It's keeping disaster kit but not to the extreme some do. So it's bottled water. MREs which taste like crap but have over 1250 calories each. Sacks of pasta and rice and tinned foods Lighters, batteries and so on basically anything you feel you would need to survive in an emergency it disaster and it's a pain at times as you have to rotate it as water goes out of date.
I think in today's world (country) that is entirely sensible.I would have thought as regards the water that there would be no expiry date as long as you had it in sealed glass bottles. I have been meaning to do this kind of stuff for ages but have never got round to it.

Water is in plastic bottles. Glass are not only too small they are noisy and breakable but it still has expiry date.
It takes a lot of room to do as you don't realise how much you would need for two or three people to live one week in a disaster scenario. You have food water medical and sanitary cleaning light warmth heat etc. Also good if it snows and you can't get to shops

LEGO!! God I love the stuff...

Also love the seaside, lighthouses, music, white wine, music, writing, comedy....had too much life stuff going on recently to actively persue any hobbies, hoping that will soon change!

I am interested in prepping too...although never done anything towards it. I need to change that.

I collect (and drink) champagne, love fast cars and enjoy playing Grand Theft Auto. I also like zombie stuff, watch the Walking Dead but get frustrated when the zombies become part of the background and an inconvieniance, there to be slashed apart rather than being a dangerous foe.

Listening to music (radio or CD), playing guitar (badly), going to gigs, football (season ticket holder), reading (history and crime novels mostly), going to the pub (I'm a real ale snob), thinking about restoring the 1969 Lotus Elan that's been stuck in my garage for ages. I only "think" about the last one because my number one hobby takes up my spare time (and cash). Also used to do a lot of airshows but won't bother now the Vulcan has retired.

All things cycling ... I love tinkering with bikes as well as riding. I get immense satisfaction from building a wheel and having it perfectly aligned and round.

Main outdoor hobby is gardening - I grow most of my own vegetables, with odd days off spent fishing, and, as I have a bit of woodland, the odd hour or two with chainsaw and axe. Indoors, reading, dozing by the fire through rubbish TV and Sudoku

Prog Rock, Heavy Rock & Metal - listening to

Metal Guitar - playing (quite badly, I'm told)

Aircraft - obviously....

Gliding - although not so much recently

I collect (and drink) champagne, love fast cars and enjoy playing Grand Theft Auto. I also like zombie stuff, watch the Walking Dead but get frustrated when the zombies become part of the background and an inconvieniance, there to be slashed apart rather than being a dangerous foe.
That was literally Robert Kirkman's goal though, if you look at the comics the purpose was that the zombies were to become an environmental obstacle like the weather or a river. In the comics at this point the basically are and will eventually be like that in the show with far more focus on society, communities and leaders. If you don't like that you're going to hate the upcoming episodes (potentially if they stick to the comics)

Yeah the comics really have very little zombie drama. They are there but it's more about society. Should be called after the dead as it would be more appropriate. The new fear twd is going along the same lines. Few zombies more people's life stories

Mountain biking, swimming, sky diving, photography, ancient history, masturbation and anything 'techie' (building/repairing PCs etc). Not all at the same time I should add :D

Last edited:
Reading books and online articles/forums, cooking, collecting stuff I find interesting that most people don't (mineral samples and old coins), arts and crafts, napping.

Drawing
Music (listening and and concerts)
Travel ironically
Cats
Films (horror, history, documentary)

My tastes pretty much extended to everything I can discuss political issues one day read the daily mail and watch news night , the next wear my pikachu beanie and watch adventure time whilst eating panda cookies , then the next watch the football and beer up and head to a metal concert

I don't like one thing, I like most things

Skiing, scuba diving, swimming, cycling, running, triathlon, yoga, movies, books, theatre.

But at the moment probably this hobby is my favourite!

Oh and travel.

So my ideal would be a nice trip abroad to ski or dive and bring a travel companion with me. :kissgirl:

Last edited:
Reading, sci-fi and horror movies, horse riding, debating pointless stuff online with people I usually dont know, potentially learning how to make some Latex clothes, I say potentially as I already bought the stuff but as yet have not gotten round to booking a "how to" course, there is also the potential that it could all just sit in the box for the next 5 years. I love to travel but as I have an entourage that I gave birth too its not cheap so not often enough to call a hobby although Im sure planning it could be

Last edited:
Reading books and online articles/forums, cooking, collecting stuff I find interesting that most people don't (mineral samples and old coins), arts and crafts, napping.
I dunno, mineral samples and old coins sound interesting to me, we have an international and old coin collection, not really a hobby though, just something we add too when something pops up.

I dunno, mineral samples and old coins sound interesting to me, we have an international and old coin collection, not really a hobby though, just something we add too when something pops up.
That's kind of how the coin collecting started! I was given a few old foreign coins when I was young from an old family member and I've just added to it here and there ever since.

Napping is a legitimate hobby, I had this discussion with someone yesterday also baths

Their attitude was sleep and bath are just inconvenient and serve a purpose, I reckon as its something you spend a lot of time doing put effort in

Bath especially = lush products and book and music spend a good hour there

Nap= decent summer or winter duvet , memory foam mattress, good pillows I have a bonus cuddle pig

For balancing book or kindle on

Napping is a legitimate hobby, I had this discussion with someone yesterday also baths

Their attitude was sleep and bath are just inconvenient and serve a purpose, I reckon as its something you spend a lot of time doing put effort in

Bath especially = lush products and book and music spend a good hour there

Nap= decent summer or winter duvet , memory foam mattress, good pillows I have a bonus cuddle pig

For balancing book or kindle on
Where is that pig from???????

I love my music so I Dj played out a few times but I'm getting more into music production just love my gadgets I'm always saving for the latest controller,I love going to back street second hand music shops picking up vinyl I'm sad I get really excited by it lol

Weight training, figure bodybuilding which I also follow and read a lot around. Aikido when I get the time!

Reading, anything and everything around psychology, counselling, mental health and addiction which is connected with studies and quals I'm taking in that subject area.

I also have an interest in alternative music scene, and attend localish arty-theatre-festival type events.

Some people have mentioned video games. I love the Elder Scrolls Games and have managed to get the complete back catalogue, other than Redguard and Battlespire. I totally identify with what Chloe and Jessamy are saying about the coin collecting. I also have a note collection, not very valuable but notes from countries like Macedonia,Mozambique, Turkey and Slovenia that are not worth an awful lot but look cool and I can pretend I'm rich

Some people have mentioned video games. I love the Elder Scrolls Games and have managed to get the complete back catalogue, other than Redguard and Battlespire. I totally identify with what Chloe and Jessamy are saying about the coin collecting. I also have a note collection, not very valuable but notes from countries like Macedonia,Mozambique, Turkey and Slovenia that are not worth an awful lot but look cool and I can pretend I'm rich

I have a jar ready for coinstar machine not same thing though

I like to play games but generally maybe only get an hour or two a week unless it's assassins creed or fallout I might zone out for a day or two

The assassins creed is London based and just awesome climbing over St Paul's and swimming in the Thames

When I am not flying my private Airbus A380 somewhere exotic I like to

Read crime fiction, particularly Simon Kernick.
Go to the cinema
Play golf, badly!
Watch the NFL on SKY &
Browse UKE/UKP for my next meet

Music,Cricket,Reading (especially History,Irvine Welsh,Ian Rankin, sports) Gigs,Theatre,football...but not half as much as I used to, comedy, walking...oh and ladies of course.

When I'm not indulging my first hobby :coolgirl:I like to travel the world, go out for dinner and talk over some fine wine I'm a real foodie. And to make up for all that decadence I love to run in the countryside while listening to some amazing music.