Football Thread

Not a good night for Forest :(
So the only way you miss out on the play-offs is if you lose at home by three goals and Swansea win away by three goals - not only does that happen but the final goal that killed you was an own goal in the 96th minute by one of your subs! If I got that right then thats just Incredible! You must be gutted!!! :unknown:

Joke of the year, typical media sucking up to Liverpool
A Sunderland lad .. who has come up to the top ..the hard way .. even Ferguson thought he ran funnily so wouldn't buy him .. even some local supporters didn't see his values .... then he had to take over from Gerrard and Brendon Rodger was about to sell him.
Yet became a leader at Liverpool ... in the last match see what he does to bring the Japanese player into the celebration.
He has many many values both on and off the pitch which make him an excellent role model and choice... so I realise it's all a matter of opinion but never the joke of the year.

A Sunderland lad .. who has come up to the top ..the hard way .. even Ferguson thought he ran funnily so wouldn't buy him .. even some local supporters didn't see his values .... then he had to take over from Gerrard and Brendon Rodger was about to sell him.
Yet became a leader at Liverpool ... in the last match see what he does to bring the Japanese player into the celebration.
He has many many values both on and off the pitch which make him an excellent role model and choice... so I realise it's all a matter of opinion but never the joke of the year.
if it had to be a Liverpool player then surely it was either Dick van Dyke or Sadio Mane

if it had to be a Liverpool player then surely it was either Dick van Dyke or Sadio Mane
why's that ... Henderson has wider responsibilities - he has shouldered them and been a leader.

.... Liverpool are a talented team, a team which Klopp has formulated /drilled / developedon the training pitch .. on the match day pitch Henderson has more responsibility. He has to fulfil Klopp's ideas once over that white line, surely Henderson by cajoling the players, by his own efforts to keep Klopp's ideas glowing it allows the likes of van Dyke and Mane to do their jobs very well.

Henderson must have a huge input into the team morale on and off the pitch, for them to be so successful the players respect him. He is not their most talented player, but this is the Football Writers award they have seen the total picture, the overall picture of his input.
Even away from Liverpool he has played a major part in supporting the NHS and defusing the political row over football's salaries and doing their part in the early covid days and has used Premiership footballer's privileged position for a greater good.

He has grown into the role of captain and sees the influence he can have and so has fund raised for many good causes. He has spearheaded a campaign which raised over £4 million from Premiership footballers, started before Hancock the health secretary singled Premiership footballers to play their part in society and support the NHS.

To me the much more rounded person and so worthy winner of the award.

Glad that crowds do make a difference.

There are about 5000 at the French cup final which is now 30 minutes old ..so far ... .6 yellow cards + another one for a substitute off the pitch ...... 1 sending off and Mbappe injury and unable to continue ...oh and a goal.

Congratulations to Harrogate Town on its win in today's play off semi final.

Nothing better illustrates the stupidity of the present restrictions than this shot of followers celebrating in the 1919. It's closed curtains obscuring a view of, er, the pitch.

been good to see Jack Diamond enjoying his football .... is he ready for League 1 yet back at Sunderland yet?

been good to see Jack Diamond enjoying his football .... is he ready for League 1 yet back at Sunderland yet?
I can't say, having not been to a game there for several years, certainly before the artificial pitch was laid. He does seem to have been an important part of the team by all accounts but there's a big difference in quality between the two divisions.

Last time I was there was in the Conference North days. I went a fair bit when Neil Aspin was the manager but that was over ten years ago and they still had the terribly sloping pitch. It's a lot flasher now.

Its the end of a long PL season today, wonder how it will all pan out
Can only show one live free game on Sky Pick ... so will it be Utd-Leics for CL place or one of Watford or Villa relegation deciders?
..... nope, they've gone for Man City-Norwich :dash: , WTF ? only people wanting to see that are City fans and even they prob couldnt care less seeing them thrash hapless Norwich who are already packed for hols.

Can only show one live free game on Sky Pick ... so will it be Utd-Leics for CL place or one of Watford or Villa relegation deciders?
..... nope, they've gone for Man City-Norwich :dash: , WTF ? only people wanting to see that are City fans and even they prob couldnt care less seeing them thrash hapless Norwich who are already packed for hols.
According to today's newspaper the mighty blues are on Sky Golf.

Get in the hole...

unbelievable......no sure what the tactics were but were all over the shop.......villa just did enough so fair play tae them.........we better fkkn think hard for next season........:dash:

Well I said I'd take 17th at the start even though I don't like settling for anything in football so job done.
Was a little closer than I expected but the aim for a newly promoted team was to stay up, we've done that when it looked unlikely so well done to all involved and will look forward to another season of VAR :D

Should congratulate Deano and let him get on with the job imo
Snap. My worry is money men have a strange way of thinking, especially when they’ll have to had him money again to spruce up the team. We ”defo” need a striker with at lease 15 league goals in him. I don’t think any of our out and out strikers scored since the return. I’d class, Trezeguet as a midfielder/winger? Also, will we have to let Grealish go?

Last edited:
Brentford must be kicking themselves. They blew automatic promotion. Be interesting to see how they come back second leg. Think this might be Fulham's for the taking though.

Well I said I'd take 17th at the start even though I don't like settling for anything in football so job done.
Was a little closer than I expected but the aim for a newly promoted team was to stay up, we've done that when it looked unlikely so well done to all involved and will look forward to another season of VAR :D
You should do...........:thumbsup:

Not the most thrilling of final days of the season. I'd been hoping Watford would stay up. But it was always going to be difficult given their last couple of games.

Fantastic finish from Giroud today in the Chelsea match today, though.

I grew up a blue. Use to spend my Pocket money on rosettes, penants, poster etc of Bob Latchford, Allan Ball and co
Then my dad got posted to the North East and I was a Darlo & Sunderland fan until I married a Forest season ticket holder :hi:
But I still look out for their result my last game was an Fa cup game at Feethams Darlington back in the days when there was no crowd segregation. I think it was 0-1 to Everton or 1-2 Lance Robson played for the Quakers who was my dentist
League Cup second round, September 1969. Everton won one nil with Bally scoring on 59 minutes.

Robson played centre forward for Darlo.

See Bournemouth have accepted an offer from Man City for Nathan Ake ...£41 million... for a defender from a relegated club who had the third worse defence in the Premiership... canny... a little on the steep side maybe?

here
well having shipped circa 70 goals per season.......bournmouth canny keep being in denial...........good business.........but they need a clear out including eddie ..........?

well having shipped circa 70 goals per season.......bournmouth canny keep being in denial...........good business.........but they need a clear out including eddie ..........?
Very good business indeed...... he was signed for a club record fee when he was signed from Chelsea for £20 million in 2017 .... after a loan spell at Bournemouth

.. so an average Premiership player now "worth" £40 million - the going rate for the season has been set.

Very good business indeed...... he was signed for a club record fee when he was signed from Chelsea for £20 million in 2017 .... after a loan spell at Bournemouth

.. so an average Premiership player now "worth" £40 million - the going rate for the season has been set.
Now I know why whu players are all average... cheapskate gold/sullivan paid for them in dildos..?...:lol:

I've not seem that often maybe when he was a loan player at Bournemouth - as we are floundering in division 1 ..3
I always wonder how many players from relegated team really go onto have a first class career - squad member for Man City .. but steep price.
Perhaps. I can't remember who Manchester City have in central defence apart from Laporte, who is a very good player. I think Stones will go so maybe Ake's seen as a replacement for him.

Perhaps. I can't remember who Manchester City have in central defence apart from Laporte, who is a very good player. I think Stones will go so maybe Ake's seen as a replacement for him.
Agreed Ake very good defender not £40mil worth did very well at Bournemouth probably eddie‘s best signing since they got promoted he will be partnered with Laporte if the dont go for koulibaly aswell.

Ake will be ahead of Stones if he stays, Otemendi and the young Spanish lad Garcia at least I think that’s his name