Favourite live gig

What was the best live gigs you have ever been to. This could be Rock,pop,theatre, Opera,Ballet etc etc

Some I can think of were

Rolling Stones in ...70,s ................Newcastle City Hall
I remember my girlfriend at the time queued up for well over a day outside as it was first come first served and you could only buy 4 tickets.

Roxy Music ...........80,s ................Redcar Jazz Club ............before Virginia Plain was released
Bruce Springsteen 80,s ................Newcastle City Hall..........3hours non stop by the Boss
Van Morrison .......90,s ................Nottingham Theatre Royal.......pure class

Yes performing on a revolving circular stage, must have been around '78. Wembley Arena. I was too young to indulge in narcotics then but was convinced I was hallucinating at one point :wacko:
Went to see The Buzzcocks in Guildford and was wondering who the singer from the support act was. And why was he spazzing out on stage like that? Ian Curtis (RIP), Joy Division. Definitely memorable. :thumbsup:
The Who put on a 'Thank You' gig for their fans in Brighton soon after the "Quadrophenia" movie was announced. Queued up all night for that. :music:
Barry White on Valentines Day with a gf ! :rose:
Bowie on the Glass Spider tour. Wembley.
Prince, I think must have been after "Sign of the Times". Wembley again.
More recently there's an Australian trio that I rate very highly, The Necks - see them most times they tour UK. Unreal how three people can create such a freeform cacophony in 60mins and still make it musical.
Loads more in between and before I switched to clubs... somewhere in storage I have every gig program/ ticket stub/ flyer/ other paraphernalia that I've been lucky to attend.

Last edited:
Three

Slipknot, slayer unholy alliance tour

Biffy clyro at Astoria 2 mean fiddler

Tool Hammersmith

I've seen hundreds of bands, a good gig is somewhere I can loose myself it's almost like I detach from myself and nothing matters

Love a good gig

David Bowie at Glastonbury in 2000. My first time there and I loved it. He came on as the sun began to set and he did everything, and he nailed it.

KISS on the first tour with the makeup back on. It was all fireworks and every cheap trick, but it was great fun.

Idlewild at some tiny club in Birmingham. This was the days when they didn't quite have the tunes so they threw themselves around the stage to compensate.

I could go on...

Seen Dylan a few times - first time at Earls Court in 1978 with my dad, then seen him a shit load of times since, most recently in London.

Saw Guns n Roses before appetite for destruction was released supporting faster pussycat at Rock City.

Saw Arctic Monkeys at The Grapes in Sheffield before they took off. Didn't rate them at the time either - just shows what I know about music.

Saw The Jam a few times and then Paul Weller as well solo - that was quality.

Saw Embrace play a gig in Sherwood Forest infront of about 60 of us. Also saw them at hellfire caves in high Wycombe again a small crowd of about 50-60. Great band.

Seen LA Guns a few times also - Steve Riley is one of my favourite drummers and a sound bloke.

Dogs D'Amour at Rock City a few times - that Tyla geezer is a fucking character.

Played in bands myself since I was 15 right from punk, goth, glam and finally indie rock and supported Shed Seven and Charlatans, Wildhearts, Dogs - all cracking bands.

A friend of mine used to play in a US rock band called Vixen - anyone heard of them ? Her name is Share Ross - she was bass guitar.

Pink Floyd, The Wall at Earls Court, 1980
Peter Gabriel. A pretty intimate gig at Bath Uni sports hall, an end of tour special. He went crowd surfing whilst singing Biko. 1982ish
Beyoncé at the Hydro in Glasgow on the Friday night followed by Celine Dion at Caesars Palace on the Tuesday; boy those two girls can sing!! 2014

My top three (in no particular order):
  • Prince at the 02: happened to get a night with a great playlist, ending with Purple Rain. Fucking fantastic.
  • Arcade Fire at the MEN, the tour for Neon Bible. Also saw them in Hyde Park after The Suburbs came out, which was good, but the MEN was epic.
  • Pearl Jam, also at the MEN, for their 'greatest hits' tour a few years ago. Eddie Vedder is a god on stage.
Honourable mentions to both Peter Gabriel and Rufus Wainwright, both of whom I've seen 2-4 times over the years and always put on a good show.

Pink Floyd, The Wall at Earls Court, 1980
Peter Gabriel. A pretty intimate gig at Bath Uni sports hall, an end of tour special. He went crowd surfing whilst singing Biko. 1982ish
Beyoncé at the Hydro in Glasgow on the Friday night followed by Celine Dion at Caesars Palace on the Tuesday; boy those two girls can sing!! 2014
Nice ! :thumbsup:
Several schoolmates went to The Wall - history in the making :music:
Gabriel loved a crowdsurf in his earlier days, didn't he. I was at his first tour - dressed as Rael from The Lamb Lies Down, full eye make-up, etc - and he dove in, landing right opposite me. Thanks for the reminder :hi: It's always very special when an artist plays on their home turf as a personal Thank You

My three favourite bands/artists I've managed to see - totally rocked my world:

• A-ha at Guilfest and their farewell gig at the Royal Albert Hall London
  • Kate Bush Before The Dawn gig at the Hammersmith Apollo
  • Muse at Wembley Stadium and at Glastonbury

Muse at Manchester Academy earlier this year. Managing to get tickets to see them at such a small venue when they usually play Arenas and Stadiums these days was fantastic. Great atmosphere and a brilliant gig.

Early Geneses were just Great

Wishbone Ash, Groundhogs, Taste, SkidRow, Rory Gallagher
10CC ...all in Newcastle . How my ears use to hurt after these concerts.

Jam ....Sunderland Lecano
The late John Martin .. ..Durham Uni
Gloria Estavan .......Nec
Harry Conick Jnr ........Royal Albert Hall

Elton John & Bernie Tarpin .......just them on stage,Wonderful music in Newcastle back in late 80,s

Around 20 years ago I saw REM at the MK Bowl with Sleeper and Radiohead supporting. Great day.

Also saw Blur at Hyde Park for their comeback gig in 2009. Hot July summer's day. Superb

Is no one going to claim they were at The Pistol's seminal gig at The Free Trade Hall in Manchester?? The number of people who have claimed to me over the years they were there on that auspicious night implies there were 50,000 people in attendance ;-)

I wasn't there.....but Flaming Lips on all the occassions I've seen them....trippy, outlandish and science nerds! What's not to like

Nirvana - London Astoria 1991
Massive Attack - Brixton Academy
Portishead 95 glastonbury when evan dando was bottled off the acoustic stage as we wanted Portishead
Suede, Verve Adorable on the nme on nights 92 new cross gate
Flaming Lips - Hyde park
daft punk 94 in stoke on trent
Primal Scream- various times
Happy Mondays - Wembley Arena 1990
Manic Street Preachers - Astoria richey last gig 94
James Brown - valentines park ilford

I saw them more towards the latter years at Sheffield Arena - the gig had an air of impending violence about it - a load of Liam wannabes looking for a scrap throughout the evening. There must've been about 3-4 fights breaking out just in my block alone.

Symposium - saw them several times and they always put on a brilliant live show.

Alkaline Trio - amazing live.

Mogwai - not exactly a band to get you dancing, but amazing sounds.

Streetlight Manifesto - never danced as much at a gig.

Has no one seen Oasis ??
This is a hard question ha love my gigs and festivals :)
Seen Oasis loads my fav time seeing them was at the Barrowlands 10 years of noise and confusion 2001 amazing :)
My most fav all time gig was seeing my most fav band OCS at Stirling Castle 98 brilliant some gig :)
My other all time fav gig would the Stone Roses Glasgow Green totally amazing I was delighted when they got back together ,going to see them again in Manchester next year :)

My other all time fav gig would the Stone Roses Glasgow Green totally amazing I was delighted when they got back together ,going to see them again in Manchester next year :)
Spent an evening with my jaw on the floor watching John Squire playing with the Roses back in the early Madchester days!! See you at the Etihad!! :drinks:

Spent an evening with my jaw on the floor watching John Squire playing with the Roses back in the early Madchester days!! See you at the Etihad!! :drinks:
Going on the Wednesday and got after party tickets for some Roses after show party cannot wait see you there :) ,got the Monday's on Sunday night ...call the cops :D

My top three (in no particular order):
  • Prince at the 02: happened to get a night with a great playlist, ending with Purple Rain. Fucking fantastic.
  • Arcade Fire at the MEN, the tour for Neon Bible. Also saw them in Hyde Park after The Suburbs came out, which was good, but the MEN was epic.
  • Pearl Jam, also at the MEN, for their 'greatest hits' tour a few years ago. Eddie Vedder is a god on stage.
Honourable mentions to both Peter Gabriel and Rufus Wainwright, both of whom I've seen 2-4 times over the years and always put on a good show.
Me jealousy knows no bounds that you have seen prince live. When I used to dance I used to dance to Purple Rain. The man is a musical God.

I always watch Queen on YouTube of their live shows and I'd have given both my arms to see them live, as I would with Michael Jackson. He is my all time favourite.

Red Hot Chili Peppers I've seen twice. I've seen Kylie twice. KOL, Kanye West and Jay Z.
Beyoncé gets a mention. My musical tastes literally go from Iron Maiden to Christmas songs!

I'm showing my age here against you all but hey I can't help that! Ha. Xx