Favourite Albums?

What are your all-time favourite albums not including best of or greatest hits but can include compilations and live albums?

For me they are at present and some change over time;

The Final Cut-Pink Floyd though really a Roger Waters solo album in all but name.
Dare-The Human League.
Out Of Time-REM.
Sean-Nos Nua-Sinead OConner.
Hunky Dory-David Bowie.
Deja Vu-Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young.
NYC Live-Portishead.
Symphonica-George Michael.
Guilty-Barbra Streisand.
Live 1976-1998-Rod Stewart.
The Division Bell-Pink Floyd.
Live 1973-Dark Side Of The Wall-Pink Floyd.
Whats The Story (Morning Glory)-Oasis.
Rubber Soul-The Beatles.
Live In Central Park-Simon And Garfunkel.
Live BBC Sessions-The Beautiful South-(3cd/1dvd version).
Quench-The Beautiful South.
Blue Is The Colour-The Beautiful South.

Slipknot - Iowa and the Gray chapter
Deftones - white pony
Biffy clyro - blackened sky
Marmozets - the weird and wonderful world of the marmozets
Nine inch nails - with teeth

Led Zeppelin Volume 4

Beggars Banquet - Rolling Stones

Mirror Ball – Neil Young/Pearl Jam

Harvest Moon – Neil Young

The Velvet Underground & Nico

Division Bell – Pink Floyd

The Who Live At Leeds

Relayer – Yes

American Caesar – Iggy Pop

On The Beach- Neil Young

My most listened to album isn't music as its war of the worlds. Fantastic to listen too when everyone else sleeps
Then Bread. Greatest hits
Genesis, Genesis from 1983 I think
Jewel. Spirit

My most listened to album isn't music as its war of the worlds. Fantastic to listen too when everyone else sleeps
Then Bread. Greatest hits
Genesis, Genesis from 1983 I think
Jewel. Spirit
War Of The Worlds does have some great songs in it in my view, Forever Autumn for example, I am also a huge Richard Burton fan and his voice is one of the best voices I have ever heard, his narration is sublime. Yes Genesis by Genesis is from 1983 and also has some great songs on it, Mama, That's All and Illegal Alien.

It varies with mood really but ones I never get tired of listening to:

The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust - David Bowie
Out of the Blue - ELO
Sheer Heart Attack - Queen
Metallica - Metallica
Showbiz - Muse
American Idiot - Green Day

Absolution - Muse

J

johnnyboy61

I'm actually really more into classical music, but when I want to lift the spirits a little I keep coming back to David Bowie's Hunky Dory - full of some really uplifting songs.

God I could be here all day trying to narrow it down to my top 10 ,here goes ..
Ocean Colour Scene Marchin Already.
The Stone Roses ,The Stone Roses.
Pink Floyd ,Darkside of the moon.
Pearl Jam ,Ten.
The Charlatans ,Telling Stories.
Pulp ,Different Class.
Prince ,Purple Rain.
David Bowie ,Hunky Dory.
Blur,Parklife .
The Verve ,Northern Soul.
That took ages :)

Last edited:
God I could be here all day trying to narrow it down to my top 10 ,here goes ..
Ocean Colour Scene Marchin Already.
The Stone Roses ,The Stone Roses.
Pink Floyd ,Darkside of the moon.
Pearl Jam ,Ten.
The Charlatans ,Telling Stories.
Pulp ,Different Class.
Prince ,Purple Rain.
David Bowie ,Hunky Dory.
Blur,Parklife .
The Verve ,Northern Soul.
That took ages :)
That's three of us that have put Hunky Dory so far. If you haven't already heard it I highly recommend the 1974, not 1973 as I mistakenly posted above Experience Edition live version of Dark Side Of The Moon, for me its the best live version of the album even though the full live version on Pulse is good.

That's three of us that have put Hunky Dory so far. If you haven't already heard it I highly recommend the 1974, not 1973 as I mistakenly posted above Experience Edition live version of Dark Side Of The Moon, for me its the best live version of the album even though the full live version on Pulse is good.
I've got Pulse my lights on my front cover still light up :)
Ummagumma is another fantastic album in fact dam that should have been in my top ten ,really hard to narrow amazing music into a top 10 :)

I've got Pulse my lights on my front cover still light up :)
Ummagumma is another fantastic album in fact dam that should have been in my top ten ,really hard to narrow amazing music into a top 10 :)
I really don't like Ummagumma but the live version which only has a few songs on it for me is better than the studio version. Apart from some of Piper At The Gates Of Dawn not until Meddle did they start doing music I was really into, Obscured By Clouds I think is a very good album, made just before Dark Side. The only 70s original album I am not that keen on is Animals, their worse album by far for me is A Momentary Lapse Of Reason, I love the Division Bell but my fave is The Final Cut, a Waters masterpiece, a solo album in all but name. His last hurrah to Floyd and what a hurrah. Not keen on any of his original solo work since but I do like his live In The Flesh double cd though not his solo stuff that's on it. Never had the best voice of course. I also like Dave Gilmours Live In Gdansk double cd which also has the full album On An Island on it which I do like as well as the Floyd tracks.

I really don't like Ummagumma but the live version which only has a few songs on it for me is better than the studio version. Apart from some of Piper At The Gates Of Dawn not until Meddle did they start doing music I was really into, Obscured By Clouds I think is a very good album, made just before Dark Side. The only 70s original album I am not that keen on is Animals, their worse album by far for me is A Momentary Lapse Of Reason, I love the Division Bell but my fave is The Final Cut, a Waters masterpiece, a solo album in all but name. His last hurrah to Floyd and what a hurrah. Not keen on any of his original solo work since but I do like his live In The Flesh double cd though not his solo stuff that's on it. Never had the best voice of course. I also like Dave Gilmours Live In Gdansk double cd which also has the full album On An Island on it which I do like as well as the Floyd tracks.
Meddle is brilliant .
I actually like Animals while I agree it's not there best I just a great bit of vinyl .
Agreed The Final Cut is amazing the gunners dream great track .
Division Bell is my Sunday morning album amazing ,you have good taste in music Smiths :)

J

johnnyboy61

Meddle is brilliant .
Too many memories of drunken teenage parties bopping along to albums like Stevie Wonder's Songs in the Key of Life (brilliant too by the way) and someone would kill the mood by putting on Meddle! I do like Pink Floyd, but there's a time and a place, and Wish You Were Here is my favourite.

Love....Forever Changes
The Doors...The Doors
Bowie....The Man Who Sold The World.
Neil Young..Everbody Knows This Is Nowhere.
Joy Division...Closer
Air...Moon Safari
Velvet Underground...VU & Nico
Portishead...Dummy
Talk Talk..Spirit of Eden
The Who...Live at Leeds
Black Sabbath..Vol 4
The Chameleons..Script of the Bridge
Echo & The Bunnymen...Heaven Up Here.

One of my favourite Pink Floyd albums is Atom Heart Mother. Sends me to a happy place every time. I was a taken aback therefore when Floyd themselves said it was a load of crap. they were just mucking about and recording anything and it shows some of their fans will just listen to anything :)

But undeterred I still listen to it often and still think it is brilliant :)

Love....Forever Changes
The Doors...The Doors
Joy Division...Closer
Air...Moon Safari
Portishead...Dummy
The Who...Live at Leeds
Black Sabbath..Vol 4
Some great stuff there. Echo & The Bunnymen were always in my category of stuff I wanted to like and thought I ought to like but just couldn't get my head round. Not too late to give it another go though.

I saw them a couple of years back and tbh Mac's voice has totally gone.
The one album I tried to get into but 25 years one I still dont get at all is The Stone Roses debut!!

Love....Forever Changes
The Doors...The Doors
Joy Division...Closer
Air...Moon Safari
Portishead...Dummy
The Who...Live at Leeds
Black Sabbath..Vol 4
If you haven't heard it I recommend Portishead-Live NYC. I just prefer their second album Portishead to Dummy but both are a lot better than Third in my view.

If you haven't heard it I recommend Portishead-Live NYC. I just prefer their second album Portishead to Dummy but both are a lot better than Third in my view.
NYC is excellent and although Third is weaker it does contain The Rip which is one of their greatest tracks.
I was in HMV recently and noticed they have 'Dummy' on vinyl...surely after a few plays of that it would difficult to work out what was intentional scratches and what was wear and tear.

NYC is excellent and although Third is weaker it does contain The Rip which is one of their greatest tracks.
I was in HMV recently and noticed they have 'Dummy' on vinyl...surely after a few plays of that it would difficult to work out what was intentional scratches and what was wear and tear.
Yes good one.:D Different to Portishead but Out Of Season by Beth Gibbons and Rustin Man is quite good in my view.

Never got into Portishead Dummy was not bad I preferred Massive Attack seen them live a few times brilliant live .
The opposite for me though I like some Massive Attack. Been listening to Ok Computer quite a bit over the last couple of days, I didn't really like Radiohead but it has grown on me the more I have listened to it. I have The Bends as well but have hardly listened to it so that's next.

Yes good one.:D Different to Portishead but Out Of Season by Beth Gibbons and Rustin Man is quite good in my view.
Agree...love Autumn leaves.
Im sure Rustin Man had something to do with Talk Talk..they were a strange band who started off commercial and then with each release got more leftfield ( a kind of 1980s Scott Walker)
As mentioned in my original post 1988's ' Spirit of Eden' is a masterpiece and arguably one of the quietest albums of all time...Mark Hollis was a genius.

The opposite for me though I like some Massive Attack. Been listening to Ok Computer quite a bit over the last couple of days, I didn't really like Radiohead but it has grown on me the more I have listened to it. I have The Bends as well but have hardly listened to it so that's next.
'Climbing up the Walls' from OK Computer is one of the all time great dark songs.
Thom Yorke has a remarkable voice and once did a brilliant cover of Roxy Music's ' Ladytron' from the ' Velvet Goldmine' soundtrack.

Everything after ok was terrible Hail to the thief was decent but no way as good as The Bends and Pablo Honey ,they are back in the studio fingers crossed for a tour in 2016 :)

Agree...love Autumn leaves.
Im sure Rustin Man had something to do with Talk Talk..they were a strange band who started off commercial and then with each release got more leftfield ( a kind of 1980s Scott Walker)
As mentioned in my original post 1988's ' Spirit of Eden' is a masterpiece and arguably one of the quietest albums of all time...Mark Hollis was a genius.
Yes he was the bassist in Talk Talk from 1981-88. Thanks for the info here.:thumbsup:

Being of elderly persuasion i could have gone on forever but these are just some of the albums that i still have from my musically formative years:

Songs of Love & Hate - Leonard Cohen
After the Goldrush - Neil Young
Tumbleweed Connection - Elton John
Northstar Grassmen - Sandy Denny
Led Zepplin 1 - Led Zepplin
Sounds of Silence - Simon & Garfunkel
Astral Weeks - Van Morrison
Aladdin Sane - David Bowie
Tapestry - Carole King
Tales of Topographic Oceans - Yes
Meddle - Pink Floyd
Sgt Pepper - The Beatles
Highway 61 Revisited - Bob Dylan
Pet Sounds - Beach Boys
Exile on Main Street - Rolling Stones
Over Nite Sensation - Frank Zappa

And a track from the Frank Zappa album for punters and working girls
Dinah-Moe Humm

Being of elderly persuasion i could have gone on forever but these are just some of the albums that i still have from my musically formative years:

Songs of Love & Hate - Leonard Cohen
After the Goldrush - Neil Young
Tumbleweed Connection - Elton John
Northstar Grassmen - Sandy Denny
Led Zepplin 1 - Led Zepplin
Sounds of Silence - Simon & Garfunkel
Astral Weeks - Van Morrison
Aladdin Sane - David Bowie
Tapestry - Carole King
Tales of Topographic Oceans - Yes
Meddle - Pink Floyd
Sgt Pepper - The Beatles
Highway 61 Revisited - Bob Dylan
Pet Sounds - Beach Boys
Exile on Main Street - Rolling Stones
Over Nite Sensation - Frank Zappa

And a track from the Frank Zappa album for punters and working girls
Dinah-Moe Humm
I like many of these, Cohen Live is an album I really like and Dance Me To The End Of Love a great song in my view. And Simon and Garfunkel my fave ever.

I like many of these, Cohen Live is an album I really like and Dance Me To The End Of Love a great song in my view. And Simon and Garfunkel my fave ever.
Yes Cohen is a timeless genius, my all time number one. Along with Dance Me you could add so many Cohen classics - Closing Time, Famous Blue Raincoat, 1,000 Kisses Deep, If It Be Your Will, I'm Your Man, In My Secret Life .... the list is endless really, have never come across a bad Cohen song.
S & G's I am a Rock has to be one of their best songs.

Yes Cohen is a timeless genius, my all time number one. Along with Dance Me you could add so many Cohen classics - Closing Time, Famous Blue Raincoat, 1,000 Kisses Deep, If It Be Your Will, I'm Your Man, In My Secret Life .... the list is endless really, have never come across a bad Cohen song.
S & G's I am a Rock has to be one of their best songs.
S&G did so many greats songs that I could spend a long time listing them, my fave at present is April Come She Will. I never get sick of listening to them, my son used to though, not them AGAIN he used to say.

I have recently rediscovered Scream Dracula, Scream by Rocket From The Crypt. What an absolutely fucking brilliant album that is. It's been on constant repeat for the past week or so.

Other favourite albums of mine include Pinkerton and Blue album by Weezer, Dolittle by The Pixies, From Here to Infirmary by Alkaline Trio, and Rage Against The Machine's first, self titled, album.

But ask me again tomorrow and I'll probably tell you different!

Van Morrison .........Into the Music
Steely Dan...............Katy Lied
Robin Trower .........Bridge of Sighs
DeJa Vu ..................Crosby Still Nash & Young
Christopher Cross
The Eagles...............Long Road Out of Eden
Pink Floyd ..............Dark Side Of The Moon
Wishbone Ash.........Argus
George Michael.......Ladies & Gentlemen
Supertramp.............Breakfast in America
John Martin............Solid Air