Cheese and Biscuits

385North

The older I get, the more I go cracker’s for cheese and biscuits. But if ever an area of life encapsulated the tryanny of choice, it is surely biscuits for cheese. There really is a bewildering, ever-expanding selection of novelties to choose from.

I prefer to eat my cheese naked (not physically of course) and find rosemary scalloped crackers, sea-salt encrusted bites and other fluffy savouries a bit invasive. In my opinion, you can’t beat the classic Jacob’s cracker as a vehicle of delivery.

Choice of biscuit is definitely a first world dilemma I feel. Anyone care to discuss and share the love for cheese and biscuits? I would give up chocolate before cheese. I think.

As ever ...
385North

Jacobs cream crackers...the one and only. Now when it comes to the cheese though OMG!!! Thats where I have my issues, I dont buy more than one at a time for myself because I LOVE CHEESE and its really fattening so it usually takes a while for me to pick the one I want this time in the cheese isle. Looking forward to picking up my special christmas cheese from South Ken cheese shop this year as Im in London for a change...yeee, not had it for a couple of years

Soft cheeses, blue vein cheeses, melty cheeses, hard cheeses, goats cheese..you name it..i love cheese but my favourite are the soft rind cheeses and blue vein cheeses.. had a lovely bit of Cambazola the other week mmm...stinky cheeses...my all time favourite

Last edited:
Soft cheeses, blue vein cheeses, melty cheeses, hard cheeses, goats cheese..you name it..i love cheese but my favourite are the soft rind cheeses and blue vein cheeses.. had a lovely bit of Cambazola the other week mmm...stinky cheeses...my all time favourite
Try Gorgonzola in a toasted cheese sandwich.

I fucking love cheese.

It depends, but I don't think you can go wrong with a Carr's water biscuit for the more flavourful cheeses. For blander ones I like to try different types, but do have a soft spot for Ritz crackers.

Blue cheeses, however, are just plain wrong.

385North

Being vegan this is one thing I miss, althought there is vegan cheese. I do think a glass of port goes well with think combo. I like carr's they do a nice selection of biscuits.
Agree on the port; my weakness is blue cheese with a glass of Rubis (chocolate port). Chocolate and cheese shouldn't go together, but OMG! Better than sex!. OK, maybe not ...

385North

Jacobs cream crackers...the one and only. Now when it comes to the cheese though OMG!!! Thats where I have my issues, I dont buy more than one at a time for myself because I LOVE CHEESE and its really fattening so it usually takes a while for me to pick the one I want this time in the cheese isle. Looking forward to picking up my special christmas cheese from South Ken cheese shop this year as Im in London for a change...yeee, not had it for a couple of years

So you like cheese then? Think I'll have to pay a visit to that shop in South Ken. Could be an expensive trip.

Doesn't that remind you of work?

Don't get me started..... :wacko:
Has anyone come across a new variant of Stilton known as Stichelton? I think it's from the adjoining farm to Colston Basset. It's made with unpasteurised milk and even more intense in flavour. Love it.
Then there's a 5-year aged Gouda that I occasionally snaffle up as a treat. Nothing like the commercial stuff in supermarkets - this has crystallised chunks and is almost like a thick salted caramel with a moreish savoury edge. I'm salivating just thinking about it now.
I am never without Parmesan in the fridge. My meat substitute.

Being vegan this is one thing I miss, althought there is vegan cheese.

I've enjoyed some excellent cashew nut cheeses - delish

Looking forward to picking up my special christmas cheese from South Ken cheese shop this year as Im in London
La Cave à Fromage. I dare not enter... They've since opened more branches - one in Portobello, another in Brighton.

Agree that it's best to keep the biscuits quite simple. A good oatcake will do me nicely. :hi:

Being vegan this is one thing I miss, althought there is vegan cheese. I do think a glass of port goes well with think combo. I like carr's they do a nice selection of biscuits.
I've actually tried vegan cheese, I'm not a vegan, but have friends who are. It's weird they can't seem to get the texture right.

Don't get me started..... :wacko:
Has anyone come across a new variant of Stilton known as Stichelton? I think it's from the adjoining farm to Colston Basset. It's made with unpasteurised milk and even more intense in flavour. Love it.
Then there's a 5-year aged Gouda that I occasionally snaffle up as a treat. Nothing like the commercial stuff in supermarkets - this has crystallised chunks and is almost like a thick salted caramel with a moreish savoury edge. I'm salivating just thinking about it now.
I am never without Parmesan in the fridge. My meat substitute.

I've enjoyed some excellent cashew nut cheeses - delish

La Cave à Fromage. I dare not enter... They've since opened more branches - one in Portobello, another in Brighton.

Agree that it's best to keep the biscuits quite simple. A good oatcake will do me nicely. :hi:
Enter and feast on some Vacherin Mont D'Or over the christmas holiday, melty cheese perfection

http://www.davidlebovitz.com/2013/03/vacherin-mont-dor-cheese-fromage/

You may never buy another melting cheese again, its the only one I buy now mmmmm

Last edited:
When I worked on the south coast yonks ago, a crackin cheese called Cornish Yarg, If I remember rightly it came wrapped in nettle leaves. Best biscuit...gotta be hovis digestive type as Im a good Northern lad....hey up !

When I worked on the south coast yonks ago, a crackin cheese called Cornish Yarg, If I remember rightly it came wrapped in nettle leaves. Best biscuit...gotta be hovis digestive type as Im a good Northern lad....hey up !
I found an awesome cheese at Stoney Stratford Market not so long ago, something bottom, cant remember the full name though, it wasnt fat bottomed girl, something else. Think a trip to Stoney market is back on the cards

By the way I adore cheese, and I get cravings for it, just the same as I do chocolate, cake and pizza. I simply chose not to eat it so I can achieve my goal. It's not easy, but I manage it.

Looking forward to Christmas and tomorrow.

J

jonboy

By the way I adore cheese, and I get cravings for it, just the same as I do chocolate, cake and pizza. I simply chose not to eat it so I can achieve my goal. It's not easy, but I manage it.

Looking forward to Christmas and tomorrow.
I wish I had your self control

Agree on the port; my weakness is blue cheese with a glass of Rubis (chocolate port). Chocolate and cheese shouldn't go together, but OMG! Better than sex!. OK, maybe not ...
I find a drop of chilli sauce on some soft cheeses is "FUCK YEAH"... well thats how I would describe it anyhow

I'm a fucking heathen

I'll buy one of those mixed netted cheese bags from asda , get a mini own brand red wine bottle and act all

"Mmmm mmmm yes , thus red Leicester has undertones of cheese"
(Whilst swirling asda house red)

It's fun to pretend

My own preference is for a creamy blue Stilton on either Jacobs Cream Crackers or Jacobs Krackawheat (slight extra tang) with either several glasses of Taylor`s Vintage Port, or a bottle of Bollinger. Unfortunately, present day Stilton, is just not as creamy as it used to be, due to the panic about `raw` milk, which forced cheese producers to change to pasteurised milk, combined with the subsequent ridiculous EU ruling that Stilton can only be made with pasteurised milk. I am now waiting to try the new Stichelton (which is really proper Stilton as it always used to be made years ago), but so far it hasn`t reached any of the shops in my area.

Last edited:

385North

Actually, I'm having visions ... of an upper class English rose. A graceful, well spoken lady, of both youthful and chaste looks, hiding beneath her demeanour a most cunning and mischievous wickedness: a cheese a biscuit fetish. As her pet slave I would be made to sit obediently at her perfect feet and suffer while she savours every bite of the magnificent cheeseboard I have lovingly laid out for her. She doesn't like to share, but if I'm well behaved enough, I might just be lucky enough to get a bite ... but then again don’t count on it.

Punting + Cheese and biscuits = OMFGHELLYEAH!

Actually, I'm having visions ... of an upper class English rose. A graceful, well spoken lady, of both youthful and chaste looks, hiding beneath her demeanour a most cunning and mischievous wickedness: a cheese a biscuit fetish. As her pet slave I would be made to sit obediently at her perfect feet and suffer while she savours every bite of the magnificent cheeseboard I have lovingly laid out for her. She doesn't like to share, but if I'm well behaved enough, I might just be lucky enough to get a bite ... but then again don’t count on it.

Punting + Cheese and biscuits = OMFGHELLYEAH!
Or, at least get to collect the crumbs that fall off her plate

Cheese and biscuits is just a bit poncy for me

No offence , it's out of my class bracket

Couldn't do the little nibble lark I would get thrown out of a tasting

Me eating biscuits

Cheese and biscuits is just a bit poncy for me

No offence , it's out of my class bracket

Couldn't do the little nibble lark I would get thrown out of a tasting

Me eating biscuits
Well we used to have cheddar and crackers for picnics when we went camping at Plankey Mill..ie staying in a trailer tent (remember those?) and washing our plates in the river allen , not poncey at all. If we were really knocking it out of the park for posh we had some wensleydale instead.

Being from Yorkshire, I've had the pleasure of introducing a few friends to the joy that is Wensleydale and fruit (or indeed, Christmas) cake.

Vintage port and Bollinger - @archimedes: you have good taste in tipples! :drinks:

Digestives are nice with butter and cheese........and jam.
All except the jam. Similarly I don't like cheese with extras in it like walnuts and apricot. A nice strong cheddar or a good blue cheese does for me, not too bothered about the cracker but digestives are good. Camambert straight out of the oven is pretty good too.

As a French national, I know one or two things about cheese.

In my opinion the best French cheese is Saint Nectaire from the mountains of Auvergne . The farmer version is the best and not the dairy one

Cheese and crackers? Not for the French. Usually we eat cheese with bread like freshly baked white baguette. Just yum.

:dance::dance::dance:

IMG_0756.JPG