Book club

I thought I’d start my first thread on new UKE, and what better a topic than my favourite hobby - books!

Some of you may know I run a book club, so it would be nice to have a thread that people can recommend books on. Our current book is awful and depressing, ‘Someone I used to know’, a memoir from someone with dementia.

I’ll go first...

The Chamber by John Grisham. One of my favourite books that I’ve lost count how many times I’ve read it! On kindle I’ve just bought The Shining by Stephen King, so that’ll be my next book.

One of my favourite ever books is A Piece of Cake by Cupcake Brown!!!

Love thrillers by Angela Marsons.

I'm reading The Reckoning by John Grisham at the moment. I'm thinking it's not his finest hour to be honest but I'm only halfway through so might change my opinion. I'll have a nosey at The Chamber next then I reckon.

Did anyone read The President is Missing by James Patterson and Bill Clinton? That was the book I just finished. It was worth a read.

I think this was the first thread I started on UKE1.0 :)

Currently reading "Codename Vilanelle" the book that the TV series "Killing Eve" is based on. It’s much more focused on Vilanelle than the hunt for her.

The Girl Before by JP Delaney Excellent psychological thriller with twists and turns that change your outlook on the characters as the story progresses. And no I didn’t suss out whodunnit before the end.
I read the other book ‘believe me’ first which I enjoyed so much, so then read ‘the girl before’ really good books with so many twists

Last Temptation : Nikos Kazantzakis
The 1st few chapters where Jesus is an unwilling reluctant saviour almost subject to a demonic possession to his eventual acceptance with a sympathetic portrayal of Judas

Keep picking up & putting down The Master & Margarita (more due to time constraint than lack of enjoyment) going to try & either read it or make a huge dent in it this Sunday afternoon

I used to read Harlan Coben,Lee child,Dean Koontz but my attention span is shite at the moment.
Last book i read was the non fiction book Masters of Doom: How Two Guys Created an Empire and Transformed Pop Culture,about the creation of the game Doom and the games company ID,good book if you're into gaming.
Oh did try to read Fight Club but gave up,it's still on the cabinet,gathering dust

When I took A level English (many many years ago) we read Dubliners by James Joyce the last short story in the book is called 'the dead' it kinda went over my head at the time but I've re-read it a number of times over the years especially the last scene, & the older I get the more a profound affect it has on me

It's worth reading & then evaluating you're own life & relationships then asking yourself if you perceive it/them the way you want to or the way it actually is.

I used to read Harlan Coben,Lee child,Dean Koontz but my attention span is shite at the moment.
Last book i read was the non fiction book Masters of Doom: How Two Guys Created an Empire and Transformed Pop Culture,about the creation of the game Doom and the games company ID,good book if you're into gaming.
Oh did try to read Fight Club but gave up,it's still on the cabinet,gathering dust
I've read almost all of Dean Koontz's books but like you my attention span is shot so haven't read anything for some time now.

Currently reading Secret Societies
Dean Koontz The Neighbour was good
Nikola Tesla was interesting.
Seriously Stupid Criminals needs no explanation
Kafka
Outin, Outview and Outmove by Brandt Leg
My Secret Garden for some smut
Vinnie Jones bio was also a decent read. Was suprised

Suggestion:

This thread would work better if suggestions were made for books available on kindle under a certain price, voting on said books choosing one democratically & then discussing it chapter by chapter every week.

When finished choose new book rinse & repeat

or '100 books you must read before you die' vol 1 & 2 or on kindle download for 49p each we could work through those

https://www.amazon.co.uk/100-Books-...efore+you+die&qid=1568148869&s=gateway&sr=8-1

https://www.amazon.co.uk/100-Books-...efore+you+die&qid=1568148869&s=gateway&sr=8-2

I thought I’d start my first thread on new UKE, and what better a topic than my favourite hobby - books!

Some of you may know I run a book club, so it would be nice to have a thread that people can recommend books on. Our current book is awful and depressing, ‘Someone I used to know’, a memoir from someone with dementia.

I’ll go first...

The Chamber by John Grisham. One of my favourite books that I’ve lost count how many times I’ve read it! On kindle I’ve just bought The Shining by Stephen King, so that’ll be my next book.
The shining is utterly terrifying but brilliant.

Haven’t read a Grisham for ages. Used to devour them when I was at school. Currently reading Purity by Jonathan Franzen which is continuing his form of brilliant, brilliant writing but not as good a story as his first two.

When I finish this I plan to read Handmaid’s Tale and then the follow up.

I basically moved house to have more space for book shelves. Could sit here all day recommending books

Basically anything from Peter Hamilton I'll reread till the books fall apart. Current favourite is Fallen Dragon. Solid hard science fiction and captures the emotions of young romance really well

Just finished Beyond the Border:The good Friday agreement by Richard Humphries. Dont buy it for last minute light holiday reading

John Grisham is one of my favourite authors. Like The Chamber, The Firm, A Time to Kill and the Client, the Runaway Jury, The Racketeer, fuck it. I like all his books and think I've read them all.

My kindle is also full of books from Frederick Forsyth. Recommended reading at Langley. Along with Tom Clancy.

I do like reading a lot of Fantasy though; The Riftwar Saga by Raymond Feist and then David Eddings The Belgariad, The Malloreon, The Elenium and Tamuli are good too.

Will share a few I've got in my mini library later today

I find it hard to recommend books as these days I have a fee book buddies irl that I always harp on about what I am reading to.

Raymond Chandler and Neil Gaiman are authors I serial read. Chandler is the best for a quip 'he was the kinda guy who had all his brains in his face'.

From what I have read I feel that was pretty much lived my life anyway, I think that’s why I didn’t carry on with it as it seemed obvious to me
Mine is just on the bedside table thing .. awaiting me to open it ... OH has the Ruby Wax.. How to be Human .... maybe I'll give that a read ... might change the habit of a lifetime .. and become human! :alien:

D

Deepstoat

Just re-read Contact, by Carl Sagan, which I enjoyed as much as the first time

About to finish the Danny Baker autobiography: Going To Sea In A Sieve, which is excellent

The shining is utterly terrifying but brilliant.

Haven’t read a Grisham for ages. Used to devour them when I was at school. Currently reading Purity by Jonathan Franzen which is continuing his form of brilliant, brilliant writing but not as good a story as his first two.

When I finish this I plan to read Handmaid’s Tale and then the follow up.
We read the handmaids tale a couple of months ago, but sadly I’m one of those dickheads who had started watching the show first and prefer that! Saying that, I do want to read the sequel.

We read the handmaids tale a couple of months ago, but sadly I’m one of those dickheads who had started watching the show first and prefer that! Saying that, I do want to read the sequel.
I remember buying that book years ago. Went into the bookshop and couldn’t find it so I asked a rather soured faced assistant. She fixed me with a withering look and said ‘that’s in the feminist section upstairs’ very loudly. I assume a man wasn’t supposed to read a feminist book:)

Yep but wheres `Doors of Stone` goddammit!
I know. I’ve sort of given up waiting now - Im beginning to doubt it’ll ever come.

They’re apparently making a TV series of it though. I heard a podcast where one person was describing it to another and they ended up saying “it’s great! It’s about student debt and magic!”. :D

I find it hard to recommend books as these days I have a fee book buddies irl that I always harp on about what I am reading to.

Raymond Chandler and Neil Gaiman are authors I serial read. Chandler is the best for a quip 'he was the kinda guy who had all his brains in his face'.
Gaiman I like, and Pratchett, for fun easy reads.
I can recommend Good Omens, American Gods, and any of the Discworld series?

The Doom one sounds very interesting. The game holds up to this day and I often play it still on PS1. It was such a break through at the time. .Be a sad day when the PS1 finally gives up the ghost. PC versions for me just don't have the same rush.

Depends what your interests are but as a historian, I've been reading Daniel Defoe's account of his journey round Britain in 1724-1727.
Most fascinating was when I went on a tour of industrial revolution sites and of course, the area had been totally transformed from the rural backwater it was in Defoe's day.

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2...ole-island-of-great-britain-daniel-defoe-1727
It is fascinating. My town was described as a shadow of it's former self since the Roman's left. It hasn't changed much since. Great window to the past.

Likewise. Recently re-read Bernard Cornwells excellent Vagabond and then walked the battlefield at Nevilles Cross. Possibly not your favourite battle I'm afraid :) Not the Scots finest hour !
No nor flodden field... how to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory... family died in that one.....

Just finished We Have Been Harmonised : Life in China's Surveillance State by Kai Strittmatter, all about Xi Jinping's rise to power, the Chinese state and stuff like their social credit system etc. - a taste of things to come for us all?

Now onto a bit of fantasy and escapism with The Obelisk Gate by N. K. Jemisin

Gaiman I like, and Pratchett, for fun easy reads.
I can recommend Good Omens, American Gods, and any of the Discworld series?
Not quite on board with Pratchett, but have recently read and enjoyed Nation and Good Omens. I have read all of Gaiman bar two, and recently read Sandman Overture

Fully booked for my forthcoming trip to Edinburgh & the highlands :p

James Hogg- Justified Sinner (THE Edinburgh book imo!)
RLS- Jekyll & Hyde
Ian Rankin- Doors Open
James Boswell- Edinburgh Journal
Michael Fry- Edinburgh (the others are all re-reads, this is new!)
Single-volume book with both James Boswell & Samuel Johnson describing their trip to the Highlands in 1773
George Monbiot- Feral (the book that made me go to the Highlands & carry out those activities which I'll describe to you after doing them).

So I'm fully prepared if there's any dreich weather!

Fully booked for my forthcoming trip to Edinburgh & the highlands :p

James Hogg- Justified Sinner (THE Edinburgh book imo!)
RLS- Jekyll & Hyde
Ian Rankin- Doors Open
James Boswell- Edinburgh Journal
Michael Fry- Edinburgh (the others are all re-reads, this is new!)
Single-volume book with both James Boswell & Samuel Johnson describing their trip to the Highlands in 1773
George Monbiot- Feral (the book that made me go to the Highlands & carry out those activities which I'll describe to you after doing them).

So I'm fully prepared if there's any dreich weather!
Dreich weather in Scotland? Never...

Just grabbed a copy of Stephen King's It. Only had a very short read of it so far but I already like it. I reserve the right to come back at a later date and say it was awful if it is to me.

A book I will recommend that I have read from cover to cover is the classic The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas. Loved it.

I read anything that James Patterson writes. He is in my opinion one of the best thriller and crime authors. Once I start one of his books will not stop till I finish it

Brilliant

Just grabbed a copy of Stephen King's It. Only had a very short read of it so far but I already like it. I reserve the right to come back at a later date and say it was awful if it is to me.

A book I will recommend that I have read from cover to cover is the classic The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas. Loved it.
I LOVE The Count of Monte Cristo!

‘It’ is pretty good, but as is often said about Stephen King, the ending isn’t so good. 11.22.63 is an interesting read of his - again, the ending isn’t the best but it’s overall good. There’s also a story of his called - I think - The Long Walk which is being made into a film. That one’s excellent.

Last edited:
Had my book club meeting this evening, Atonement was the chosen book! I’ve watched the movie, so I’m looking forward to this read (y)
I often find reading books after seeing the film a bit annoying because with any differences in plot you are feeling that the book has got it wrong :unsure:

I often find reading books after seeing the film a bit annoying because with any differences in plot you are feeling that the book has got it wrong :unsure:
Luckily I watched it so long ago (easily a good 10 years ago!) that I don’t even really remember the storyline other than someone being pushed/falling into a fountain and something about the war... but I do remember enjoying it. I do know what you mean though. I much prefer seeing an advert for a movie at the cinema and quickly reading the book first and then going to watch it just to compare and contrast!

Luckily I watched it so long ago (easily a good 10 years ago!) that I don’t even really remember the storyline other than someone being pushed/falling into a fountain and something about the war... but I do remember enjoying it. I do know what you mean though. I much prefer seeing an advert for a movie at the cinema and quickly reading the book first and then going to watch it just to compare and contrast!
:mad: Hey, you've spoilt the plot for me now ;)

This reminds me...

...Perfume! The book is AMAZING and I would highly recommend it but the film is shit and should be avoided in my opinion.

I tried to re-read IT before I saw it in the cinema. Was so fucking long that by the time I'd finished it it was no longer in the cinema!

R

_Rust_

Fiction - Any Jack Reacher books by Lee Child, extremely addictive even for a slow and reluctant reader like me..

Non Fiction - Anything by Jon Ronson, my favourite is The Men Who Stare at Goats, avoid the film though, it's fucking abysmal.

Also I haven't finished it yet but The Salt Path by Raynor Winn is shaping up to be a brilliant non-fiction book especially if you want to get some perspective on things.

I'm reading Say Nothing by Patrick Radden Keefe, which is a non-fiction account of people lives during 'The Troubles' in Northern Ireland.

I LOVE The Count of Monte Cristo!

‘It’ is pretty good, but as is often said about Stephen King, the ending isn’t so good. 11.22.63 is an interesting read of his - again, the ending isn’t the best but it’s overall good. There’s also a story of his called - I think - The Long Walk which is being made into a film. That one’s excellent.
Yeah, it's a real weakness of his. I loved the Stand, all the way up to the last 40 pages, where there's just a huge Deus Ex Machina, and also spoils the ambiguity of the nature of the Antagonist

Noooo but The Pact is in my top 10 fav books! Have you read much of her books? X
No just The Storyteller. If I get a recommendation for A Spark of Light I'll read it too. The blurb interested me but I'd like someone to tell me if it's worth reading.

The Storyteller is just awesome though. In my opinion ?

So is The Pact by her too?

No just The Storyteller. If I get a recommendation for A Spark of Light I'll read it too. The blurb interested me but I'd like someone to tell me if it's worth reading.

The Storyteller is just awesome though. In my opinion ?

So is The Pact by her too?
Yes it was the first book of hers I read, I’ve read a handful of hers. I’ll pick up the Storyteller next! :dancegirl: